Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem creating Bluray

Mar 14, 2013 10:48 AM

I am creating my first bluray for a tv series of 6 half hr episodes.

I have made the DVDs in the past in DVDSP & created the blueray in Encore to have it match the design of the DVD.

I am having 2 problems.

#1. I have one menu that has 7 buttons - play all, & buttons to play episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6

I have tried the info in this article, but it doesnt quite work for me.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kurkoski_tim/play_all.php

It enables the play all button to work & play through all 6 shows that way, but the overrides do not link properly for some reason.

I have set them to override to the next menu button.

ex. if you hit the play ep 1 button it will play the show, but at the end i want it to return to the main menu with the button for ep 02 highlighted.

what it does is it goes to the start of ep 02 & begins playback (same result as what the "play all" button leads to).

is inconsistent as well as sometimes when it gets to the end of ep # 3 it will go back to the main menu, but highlight the button for ep 6.

the next time i try it it will keep playing the video for the next show, or highlight a different button on the main menu.

#2. I have transcoded the final QTs (1920 X 1080p, 23.98 fps, ProRes HQ)  in apple's compressor.

I imported those mpeg2 files into encore & in properties set it to not transcode.

When i burn a disc it says the build is approx 16GB of media & am burning to a 25 GB re-writeable bluray disc.

Yet when I burn a test it transcodes the footage. Then the next time i open the project up it tells me the media for the project is 300 mb.

What is going on here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to Jason Britski

Set the timeline End Actions to the next timeline.  Set the chapter buttons to their specific timeline.  Set the Override on the Chapter button, not the timeline, to the appropriate button on the menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Jason Britski

Transcode times depends on a myriad of factors like media, settings, hardware, etc.  So there really is no 'normal' here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Jason Britski

The Encore "burn" time consistes of two stages... software preparation, and actual burning

If you are going to do multiples, do as below... so you only have one software stage

Create an output ISO file on your hard drive and then use the FREE

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write the ISO to disc

for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

I don't do BluRay, so I don't know if that output will create an ISO, or if you need to create a folder and burn that to disc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to John T Smith

ISO is fine and preferable for BD as well as DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to Jason Britski

I have never had a burn take more than 10 min - single or dual layer.

I'm not burning much BD yet, and I am also curious.

I burn DVDs faster than I should because I have no returns. But that is at 8X only for a DVD that maxes at less than 5 Gigs. You were obviously burning faster or your disks weren't very full.

Now you are burning (bluray dual layer) up to 50 Gigs at what burn speed? I see BD-R DL disks in a quick search only up to 6X rated.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Jason Britski

I suspect that 60 mins for a dual layer Blu-ray is about par for the course.  The time factor here is controlled by your burner speed and the rated burn speed of the Blu-ray.  I have never used a dual layer Blu-ray but I suspect that the speed rating is 2X or 4X?  What is the rated speed of your burner for dual layer?

Like Stan, I have found that I can safely burn DVDs at 8X with very few problems nowadays, using Verbatim media.

Given the higher cost of Blu-ray media I have always been conservative and burn at 1X, or occasionally 2X, and this can take 45 minutes to burn from an iso with a 1 hour programme.

The newer LTH type Blu-rays are quicker, I find, but I am not sure that you can get these in dual layer.

It might be easier to find somewhere local with a Blu-ray duplicator to do your burning for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points