Skip navigation
makeshiftdan2
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Crashing Mountain Lion

Mar 14, 2013 10:59 AM

Tags: #photoshop #crash #cs6 #mac_os_lion

Ive been dealing with my mac crashing seemingly randomly for over 10 weeks. I've taken it to the genius bar 3 times, had a video card replaced, and I recently got elevated to Tier 1 apple support. The only software I have installed on my machine is Photoshop and Illustrator. I've been exchanging crash logs back and forth with apple support over the last 2 weeks. The last email I got from apple support said they found something in my logs that pointed to Photoshop being the culprit. Here is what they sent:

Feb 27 11:20:45 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x5a requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop

Feb 27 11:21:08 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:22:45 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:22:45 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:24:47 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.

Feb 27 11:31:23 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x5a requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop

Feb 27 11:32:07 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:33:48 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:39:11 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.
Feb 27 11:39:11 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.

Feb 27 11:39:30 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x57 requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop
Feb 27 11:41:09 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x5a requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop
Feb 27 11:43:01 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Photoshop" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
Feb 27 11:43:03 Daniels-iMac.local WindowServer[82]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Photoshop" after 2.36 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Feb 27 11:43:28 Daniels-iMac.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[310]: clip: empty path.

Then the system was force-restarted.

These are the logs the engineers reviewed.  They may not make perfect sense but with Adobe's help it will.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

The console log is not useful - all it says is that you hit some known OS drawing bugs. (and Apple support mislead you)

The detailed crash report would tell us what actually crashed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

The report is huge but you can post whole thing or just post the top part showing system specs and then paste the text where is says crashed thread(s).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

Please use Pastebin.com to paste the crash log that you will find under Mac OS X Utilities>Console.app > User Diagnostic Reports. Look for the latest crash log there and then save as a text file to your desktop from Console. Copy the contents to Pastebin.com and then post the link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

Forced shut down?

Are you crashing Photoshop? hanging Photoshop?  Or is the whole machine frozen (hardware error)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

That sounds more like you've got an OS problem or some sort of hardware problem (like a bad hard disk, and the OS is waiting on it).

And please remember that hangs and crashes are very, very different things.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

If the whole system is affected, it cannot be an application issue.

The application might conceivably get the window server or kernel into a bad state, but only if there is a major bug in the OS code that allows the OS to get into that state.  But millions of Photoshop users don't have that problem, so more likely you have hardware issues, a system level conflict, or a bad system intall.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to makeshiftdan2

If you have a freeze or kernel panic, the odds are it's hardware based (or a driver for a piece of hardware). Yes, it could be a bad system install. The only way to know for an EXACT fact is to do a total disk wipe and fresh install–which of course is extreme (and a pain pain in the arse).

But a spinning beach ball of death (SBBD) certainly points to hardware. Note, it could be ANY hardware connected but likely CPU, PCI controllers, HDs. It could be bad ram, but that shouldn't normally cause a hardware freeze...less likely (but possible) could be any PCI card or any piece of hardware that's connected directly to the motherboard or PCI slots. Really hard to tell...but, regardless of what Apple may say, software simply can't (or shouldn't be allowed to by the OS) bring the hardware down.

It ain't Photoshop...but Photoshop is a really great canary in the coal-mine. If ANYTHING is wrong with the hardware, Photoshop is really good at exposing it. Unfortunately (or fortunately-depending on your point of view).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points