Skip navigation
Ed_Lazar
Currently Being Moderated

What's the best way to deal with Canon pf24 files?

Mar 14, 2013 2:30 PM

Tags: #canon #cs6 #pf24

I'm working on a project shot mainly with Canon DSLR footage (1080p, 24fps.) But now I would like to add some footage from a Canon Camcorder recording in AVCHD format. It would seem to make the most sence to shoot at 24fps, or as Canon calls it pf24. The question is, is premiere or media encoder able to interpret the canon footage and do the proper 3-2 pulldown? Or should I record in 30fps (or pf30) and convert the footage to 24 fps in media encoder before adding it to my project? Keep in mind that I can't just shoot everything in 30p because the bulk of the project is already shot at 24p. Also, I am using CS6. Does anyone have experience with this? Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

PP will remove any pulldown from 30i clips when added to a 24p sequence.

However, PsF doesn't necessarily mean wrapped in a 30i cadence.  It just means the full frame was split into two fields.  Whether or not pulldown is added is a separate issue.  You just need to make sure PP sees the footage as progressive by right clicking on those clips and going to Modify>Interpret Footage...

Having said that, definitely run some tests before you shoot for real.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

OK, so it looks like the camera is both segmenting the frames and adding pulldown.  You should still be able to just drop them into a 24p sequence without issue.  Shoot at 24, not 30, and give it a go.  Shooting at 30 will have the wrong cadence when used in a 24p sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

Might want to read this:

Its a camcorder, but could be the same 'issue'.

http://provideocoalition.com/atepper/story/empsf8217s_missing_workflow _em_part_2_the_canon_xa10_camera/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

PP does it automatically when you put 30i footage into a 24p sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

Have you tried not interpreting the footage in Pr and just dropping the pf24 footage into a 24p timeline? 

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

Is there a difference between that choppiness and when you interpreted the footage to 24p?

Also, is there any chance that system issues are skewing the results -- disk i/o, cpu or gpu lag, resource-munching background processes?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

choppy playback during pans or periods of fast motion.

That is more likely a sign of something wrong with your shooting than with the footage.  With 24p, you need to take it pans and such slower than with normal video.  If you don't, that 'chop' is the result.  Nothing you can really do to fix that but reshoot and move the camera slower.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

Again, PP removes pulldown automatically when you add the footage to a 24p sequence.  However, it needs to be shot in 24p mode.  You don't add footage shot in 30p to a 24p sequence, you edit that at 30p.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

there is no way to force premiere to do 3:2 pulldown

Sure there is.  Put the footage in a 24p sequence.  It removes pulldown automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to Ed_Lazar

Ed you are soo right!   PP does not automatically fix the problem by dropping the footage into a 24p AVCHD sequence.  If you have CS6 PP and AE you can use easily fix this ugly problem.

Excuse me why I step up on my soapbox - Adobe Premiere Pro development team -- please fix this @$%& problem asap!!!!  The PP Interpret footage function is a joke without it!

The best solution I could come up with after investing a ton of time into this is to use AfterEffects inside PP as a filter.  Therefore you will not have to duplicate or re-render all your PF24 footage to create true 24p clips.  You work with the same source clips throughout the entire process.  Here's what you do - 1st create a 24p AVCHD sequence in PP and drop your PF24 clips into it. Now you can select individual clips or the entire sequence of clips and "right click" and select "Replace with AfterEffect Composition".  This will export the selected clip(s) into AE.  Now you can use the world-famous AE Interpret footage function to remove the pulldown issues.  Inside AE right-click the clip - select Interpret footage - select the fielding (in my case it was Upper Field First) - then finally the "magic bullet" - select "Guess 3:2 Pulldown" button.  Now when you jump back into PP you will be working with beautiful "TRUE" 24p footage.

All the best!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points