Skip navigation
cbartkov
Currently Being Moderated

Error when starting a new project in Premier Elements 11

Mar 14, 2013 4:16 PM

When I open Premier Elements 11 and select Video Editor - New Project, I keep getting an error that says, [..\..Src\Core\Preferences\cpp-338].  When I click on the Continue button, I get a Runtime Error and the application closes.  It doesn't stop running, though.  I have to stop it in the Task Manager Processes screen.

I have Windows XP SP3, and I have installed all the latest Windows updates, I have updated my Java version, I have defragmented my hard drive, I have run a disk clean up application, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times over with the DVD, and I have Quicktime installed with its latest updates.

I worked with an Adobe support tech yesterday who worked with my system a little, but he left me hanging and didn't call me back today.

I paid money for this application and desperately need it for my job.  I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

A very frustrated customer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 12:12 AM   in reply to cbartkov

You are missing some system DLL, but nobody can know which one exactly. short of rebuilding the system from scratch or downloading each and every MSVC and .NET runtime I don't think there's an easy way to resolve this. You realyl should consider upgrading your OS...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to cbartkov

I would start with this Elements Village thread, and follow the advice offered by ATR: http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74774

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to cbartkov

This article might be useful too: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4669828#4669828

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to cbartkov

Glad that you seem to have fixed things. Windows' User Accounts can be tricky buggers, and it seems that with Win8, they might have become even trickier (or maybe "more tricky?").

Thanks for posting what worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to cbartkov

Hi everyone

I think i have found a solution. Before installing Premiere Elements 11, i have changed default location for my Special System folders. ie. Desktop, documents and so on. It gave me the error that was mentioned above.

When i changed location  for special System folders back to the default applied by windows and uninstalled Premiere elements and then installed it again. Then everything worked.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to jtdissing

The Windows Desktop folder is rather a specialized folder, and I recommend it ONLY for the icons for programs, or documents, that one wishes to have available on their Desktop. Because of some of its special properties, many programs, such as PrE, can have issues accessing and working from that Desktop folder.

Your workaround is just how I always set up my Adobe programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I too had this issue on the network I support and have now resolved it. The issue is caused by a path syntax bug and occured for us because our users document folders were redirected to the root of a mapped drive (these were domain users so we had little choice).

To get around this issue you can change your documents folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\U ser Shell Folders\Personal

In theory as long as you don't choose the root of a mapped drive you shouldn't experience the crash, although there could be alternative paths which cause similar problems.

Some specifics for Adobe developers if they read these forums:

Adobe premiere elements 11 suffers from a path syntax bug. The issue occurs when a user’s documents folder is redirected to the root of a mapped drive. Within 'Adobe Premiere Elements.exe', Premiere.dll calls Shell32.SHGetFolderPathW which retrieves the user’s documents folder. If the folder is a root drive the returned path will be appended with a backslash, e.g. "N:\". Once this path is retrieved premiere.dll calls dvacore.dll's append function and appends "\adobe" to the path. It fails to check for the appended backslash so the result is a path something like the following:
    "N:\\adobe"

Later on in execution an error is thrown via backend.dll due to the path syntax issue and premiere elements closes before it has chance to finish loading.
    In theory this issue should affect all network users who have documents redirected to the root of a mapped drive.
    I've now solved this issue by removing the extra backslash within dvacore.dll. An official fix would obviously be a preferred solution however.

Regards,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2014 6:48 AM   in reply to AJohnF

AJohnF,

We too are having the same problem with home folder mapped to network drives.

There are 2 copies of the dvacore.dll in the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 folder. 

Did you modify both of them?

Would it be possible to get a copy of the dvacore.dll file as we have no one in our department with programming knowledge?

Thanks.

Glen Munro
    Network Administrator

Prairie South School Division

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:24 AM   in reply to gm_pentaxfan

Hi Glen,

If you're seeing 2 copies of dvacore.dll then I assume you're running elements on a 64bit OS? I made changes to the 32bit version of dvacore which is found in the root of 'program files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\' (when installed on a 32bit machine).

64bit is something I can look into although I'll have to find some compatible tools first.

As an alternative to the fixed dll you could also use a substitute shortcut to elements which first makes a change to the users personal folder path. The vbscript below for instance creates a folder 'My Docs' in a users mapped network drive (N: in this case), it then alters the registry to point Documents to this new folder, and then runs elements.

Note that this change would be saved back to the network on logoff (roaming profiles), if you set the users personal folder path each logon however this would hopefully be overwritten.

You can place a script like this in the elements folder and add a shortcut for all users, this would be used instead of the normal Elements shortcut.

'********************************************************************* **
    'Run Elements
    '********************************************************************* **

on error resume next               'Avoid errors /lazy
    Dim oFSO               'For folder creation

WScript.Timeout = 5               '5 Second Timeout

Set WShell  = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")               'For registry reading
    Set oFSO    = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")               'For folder creation

oFSO.CreateFolder "N:\My Docs"               ' Create a new folder
    WShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal", "N:\My Docs", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
    WShell.Run("""C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe""")

Not ideal really but maybe it can help until an official fix is released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:58 AM   in reply to AJohnF

Thanks for the quick response.

We are using the 64 bit version. 

We have a solution deployed via our Microsoft SCCM that requires the user to run a fix before and after using Elements program that does basically the same thing.

I'm not sure on Adobe's official fix eta, since version 12 is now out.  We haven't tested Version 12 yet.

If you have some spare time and want to work on the 64bit fix that would be great, I'm sure other Network users would appreciate it.

I like the idea of a desktop shortcut that runs the script. Our student accounts are locked down in terms of applications that they can run.

I'll do some testing and post the results. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 6:46 AM   in reply to cbartkov

For Networked home folders (aka Personal folder), here's a work around script that you are free to use.  (Based on AJohnF's suggestion.)

The Script verifies if the current domain user has an 'J' drive if not, it starts APE, if there is a home folder assigned to the domain user...

It temporarily changes the User Shell Personal folder registry.

Starts Adobe Premiere Elements and waits for it to close.

Once APE is closed it will change the registry back.

You can remove the ' in front of the msgbox lines to get prompts along the way for testing.

Create a new desktop shortcut that will point to the "Start Premiere 11.vbs" (or whatever you called it)

We deployed it via SCCM and replaced the existing desktop shortcut for APE with new shortcut. Deployment of script and desktop shortcut could be done via computer startup, preferences, SCCM it up to you.

Change the "J:\" and "J:\My Videos" to match your environment.

' Script based on Adobe forum post & PSSD Login Script
    'http://support.muse.adobe.com/thread/1170813?start=0&tstart=0

on error resume next

Dim oFSO               'For folder creation
    Dim objSysInfo, objShell, objNetwork
    Dim strUserPath, objUser
    Dim strHomeDrive

'WScript.Timeout = 5               '5 Second Timeout

'Create Objects
    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
    Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
    Set oFSO    = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Premiere = chr(34) & "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe" & chr(34)

' User account info
    strUserPath = "LDAP://" & objSysInfo.UserName
    Set objUser = GetObject(strUserPath)
    strHomeDrive = objUser.Get("homeDrive")
    ' Look for J drive
    If strHomeDrive = "J:" then
    'msgbox "Found J drive.  Applying fix"
    oFSO.CreateFolder "J:\My Videos"             
    objshell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal", "J:\My Videos"
    'msgbox "Starting " & Premiere
    objshell.Run Premiere,0,1
    ' Waits for program to close then resets the Registry
    objshell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal", "J:\"

'msgbox "Registry Changed back to default"
    Else
    'msgbox "No network drive. Not Applying fix"
    'msgbox "Starting " & Premiere
    objshell.Run Premiere,0,1
    'msgbox "Program Finished"
    end if

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)