When I open Premier Elements 11 and select Video Editor - New Project, I keep getting an error that says, [..\..Src\Core\Preferences\cpp-338]. When I click on the Continue button, I get a Runtime Error and the application closes. It doesn't stop running, though. I have to stop it in the Task Manager Processes screen.
I have Windows XP SP3, and I have installed all the latest Windows updates, I have updated my Java version, I have defragmented my hard drive, I have run a disk clean up application, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times over with the DVD, and I have Quicktime installed with its latest updates.
I worked with an Adobe support tech yesterday who worked with my system a little, but he left me hanging and didn't call me back today.
I paid money for this application and desperately need it for my job. I hope someone can help me.
A very frustrated customer.
You are missing some system DLL, but nobody can know which one exactly. short of rebuilding the system from scratch or downloading each and every MSVC and .NET runtime I don't think there's an easy way to resolve this. You realyl should consider upgrading your OS...
I would start with this Elements Village thread, and follow the advice offered by ATR: http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74774
Well, after hours of work from a local tech, we seem to have solved it for now. After trying a bunch of things, he finally deleted my Windows profile then recreated it. The application finally opened without an error. Somehow the app was finding a bad path. Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.
Glad that you seem to have fixed things. Windows' User Accounts can be tricky buggers, and it seems that with Win8, they might have become even trickier (or maybe "more tricky?").
Thanks for posting what worked for you.
I think i have found a solution. Before installing Premiere Elements 11, i have changed default location for my Special System folders. ie. Desktop, documents and so on. It gave me the error that was mentioned above.
When i changed location for special System folders back to the default applied by windows and uninstalled Premiere elements and then installed it again. Then everything worked.
The Windows Desktop folder is rather a specialized folder, and I recommend it ONLY for the icons for programs, or documents, that one wishes to have available on their Desktop. Because of some of its special properties, many programs, such as PrE, can have issues accessing and working from that Desktop folder.
Your workaround is just how I always set up my Adobe programs.
I too had this issue on the network I support and have now resolved it. The issue is caused by a path syntax bug and occured for us because our users document folders were redirected to the root of a mapped drive (these were domain users so we had little choice).
To get around this issue you can change your documents folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\U ser Shell Folders\Personal
In theory as long as you don't choose the root of a mapped drive you shouldn't experience the crash, although there could be alternative paths which cause similar problems.
Some specifics for Adobe developers if they read these forums:
Adobe premiere elements 11 suffers from a path syntax bug. The issue occurs when a user’s documents folder is redirected to the root of a mapped drive. Within 'Adobe Premiere Elements.exe', Premiere.dll calls Shell32.SHGetFolderPathW which retrieves the user’s documents folder. If the folder is a root drive the returned path will be appended with a backslash, e.g. "N:\". Once this path is retrieved premiere.dll calls dvacore.dll's append function and appends "\adobe" to the path. It fails to check for the appended backslash so the result is a path something like the following:
Later on in execution an error is thrown via backend.dll due to the path syntax issue and premiere elements closes before it has chance to finish loading.
In theory this issue should affect all network users who have documents redirected to the root of a mapped drive.
I've now solved this issue by removing the extra backslash within dvacore.dll. An official fix would obviously be a preferred solution however.