Skip navigation
Ian_Kovich
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Pro CS3 to CS6: Games running slower?

Mar 15, 2013 10:09 AM

Tags: #cs3 #java #action_script_3 #cs6

Hey, everyone. I'll try to explain the problem I'm experiencing as concisely as I can:

I just got a new iMac (10.8.2) and I managed to move all of my CS3 stuff over with a system transfer. However, Flash CS3 has that 'error initializing java runtime environment' message and I can't get it fixed despite the number of 'solutions' I've found, mostly because the fixes are for older versions of Mac and its operating systems. That said, if anyone has found a fix for this problem on the newest iMacs and operating systems, please let me know and disregard everything I'm about to ask about below.

However, I decided to give CS6 a whirl and see if I should go ahead and upgrade to that. The problem I'm running into is baffling to say the least. I was making a game in Flash CS3 and Actionscript 3 on my older Macbook Pro (2007-2008ish) and I managed to get it to run at a solid 60 frames per second. That's not really surprising, given how little there is in the game so far, but the fact that it's running slower when running through Flash CS6 on a newer computer (2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB) is worrying me.

I've tested both the executable (.app) and the .swf, and both run far slower than they should. The frame rate dips even when there is nothing on the screen except for the player character and the background. Strangely enough, if I have the game running in Flash Player 9, it runs just fine, but everything else (10 and up) runs significantly worse.

Anybody know why the game would be running slower? I've even tried using hardware acceleration and there was no change whatsoever. Could it be that the files I opened, both the .fla and .as files, were originally CS3 files? Would creating CS6 files from scratch and then bringing the content and code over fix the problem?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Ian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to Ian_Kovich

Never experienced sth. like that. It shouldn`t matter whether you publish to Flash Player 9 (CS3) or 11 (CS6).

I've even tried using hardware acceleration

Hardware acceleration will in most cases slow down your fps if you don`t use Stage3D/Starling features, you have to deactivate it in your FlashPlayer via right click options, too, though. It would be my first guess that a new installed Flash 11.5 Player would default to HwAcc, so you have to manually deactivate it, when it does.

If its possible for you: load 2 Versions (CS3-swf,CS6-swf) of your game up and post the link, then I could test it under Windows to see if its mayba a Macrelated issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to Ian_Kovich

Glad I could help ;-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers