Skip navigation
J van E
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 guide for CS4 user...?

Mar 15, 2013 11:45 AM

I went from CS4 to CS6 last week. I knew about the big differences but I was caught off guard by all the little changes... Like not being able to unlock one item with a shortcut or the fit to frame option not working at ALL in some circumstances. Same changes feel like big steps BACK instead of forward and I almost wished I didn't switch to CS6. I was wondering if there is some sort of guide somewhere that shows me all the LITTLE differences that I have to learn about after going from CS4 to CS6... I could use such a guide because I all the time I can't get things done or things happen without me knowing what's happening...!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to J van E

InDesignSecrets.com  release notes for CS6, a start.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to J van E

It sounds lie you might have tried to reuse a custom set of CS4 keyboard shortcuts in CS6. That doesn't work well unless you take some extra steps. If you search here you'll find a pair of scripts John Hawkinson wrote for converting legacy shorcut sets...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to J van E

OK.

There are two things about unlocking. First, the default prefernce is to not allow you to select locked objects, so you will need to change this if you haven't already. Then you need to make a custom shortcut set and add the shortcut of your choice to the Unlock command. It's listed in the Object Menu product area and has no default keys assigned.

I suspect the problem withte fitting commands is they changed at some point. You can either try to memorize the new ones, or add the old ones to the custom set you are making. They're in the Object Menu area, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to J van E

I'm not clear on what you are seeing, and since I tend only to use the context menu or control panel buttons for fitting I'm not sure what happens, but I suspect an auto-fit frame fitting option has been applied to the frame (you can clear frame fitting options from the context menu, or add another custom shortcut).

Having just said that, I can't seem to make the shortcuts stop working no matter what I do, so it could be a prefs problem on your system (see Replace Your Preferences).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points