Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you ungroup or expand a pie chart in Adobe Illustrator CS6?

Mar 15, 2013 11:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator #expand #chart #cs6 #pie #charts #ungroup

How do you ungroup or expand a pie chart in Adobe Illustrator CS6? This functionality seems to have been removed. Say I'd like to remove the legend: before, I could ungroup the chart, release its link to the data, and then delete the legend with my white mouse. Object > Expand no longer works either. This is supremely frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to DeniseCarmenPinto

Expand seems to work the same as it should here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to DeniseCarmenPinto

Denise,

It may be time to see whether your preferences have gone astray.

If you like your settings, you can do it reversibly if you Move the folder (the most suitable tool to ungroup/expand a pie chart would seem to be the Knife Tool, sorry, it was stronger than I).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to DeniseCarmenPinto

I am having the same problem. Select a graph and ALL the items under the OBJECT menu are greyed out. I don't see anywhere in my preference options that would seem to relate to this? Denise - wondering if you came up with a solution? THANKS - Jane

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to farthingsx2

Never mind - Good old quit and relaunch took care of the problem! Haha - You'd think I would learn to do that VERY FIRST THING!?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to DeniseCarmenPinto

Hi Denise - Yep - right after I relaunched Illustrator I also realized the whole problem was that the data dialog box had been open and that is what kept the ungroup (and other options) from being availalbe. I often like to ungroup a chart so I can easily make a variety of visual changes. But before ungrouping, I ALWAYS duplicate the chart so that the data can continue to be accessed and changed as needed. So yeah and THANKS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2014 10:49 AM   in reply to DeniseCarmenPinto

I tried using the menu command Object -- Expand... but it did not make a grouped object with paths and lines.

So I tried using Object -- Flatten Transparency... and it did work. The default settings generated a grouped oject with all the fills and lines sepparate.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works out for you.

--Cheers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points