Skip navigation
adamsa697
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe InDesign CS3 for Mac won't run. Receiving javascript error message 45.

Mar 15, 2013 12:40 PM

My InDesign CS3 for mac used to work perfectly fine. Lately I receive....

JavaScript Error Code: 45, Error String: Object is Invalid. Line: 387

everytime I open it. If i can get past this sometimes, and try to open a file, it unexpectadly quits.

I install fonts from dafont.com sometimes. I recently installed Photoshop brushes. I download files from emails. Nothing too risky or so I think.

here's the crash report: http://pastebin.com/ATNMknNn

i'm running os x10.6.8.

also, tried the cleaner tool. it didn't work.

thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to adamsa697

The only thing I can decipher in that report that looks pertinent is the version. You need to update to 5.0.4. That probably won't fix the error, though. Do you have any startup scripts installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to adamsa697

The update is free, and it has lots of bug fixes, so download it.

I don't believe there should be any startup scripts installed by default in CS3, so these probably represent additional functionality that you added at some point. Some of the things that can be done with startup scripts are add new commands to the context menus (like Place... which can speed things up when you draw frames) or set the prefererences. You'd have to tell us the names of the scripts in that folder, at the very least, for us to guess what they might be doing and which one might be failing if there is more than one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I see that Peter already addressed your confusion  of update vs upgrade.

Anyway, here is the link for the update: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4029

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to adamsa697

It must be the version of Crash Reporter, because there's still nothing in the report that is at all helpful to me for diagnosis.

Still getting a javascript error? I don't suppose the error actually lists the script name?

In the meantime, it's remotely possible that it's font related. And DaFont is not a place I would go looking for fonts to use in ID. ID is more sensitive to badly made fonts than most programs, and "badly made" describes an awful lot of the stuff on free font sites. It won't hurt to do some font troubleshooting: Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

And if you ouse a font manager with an auto-activation plugin, remove the plugin temporarily, as well as any other third-party plugins you might have installed.

Also, try creating a new user account and see if ID will run in that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to adamsa697

Font Book is the built-in font manager, and it does not have an auto-activation plugin for ID, so that is not an issue. The link in my last post will tell you how to troubleshoot the fonts, in general.

You should aslo read http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/error-licensing-stopped-mac- os.html. It's starting to sound like it might be a licensing problem...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to adamsa697

Forgot about the new user account.

I can't lead you through that step-by-step onthe Mac, but I think you should find User Accounts in the System Preferences, and you can add a new account there.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

To create a new account on the Mac:

Open Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups.  Click the Lock icon at the bottom left. You'll have to enter your administrative password. Click the + sign to add an account.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to adamsa697

I'll ping John and see if he has any ideas -- I'm out of my comfort zone here as a Windows guy.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'll ping John and see if he has any ideas -- I'm out of my comfort zone here as a Windows guy.

Hi, guys.

Going through this thread:

I don't believe there should be any startup scripts installed by default in CS3, so these probably

That's not quite right. There are some parts of InDesign that were implemented internally in JavaScript. For the most part they're not too important, but when somehow all of InDesign's JavaScript is broken, they are the first things to fail.

My experience is this error message ("JavaScript Error Code: 45, Error String: Object is Invalid. Line: 387") probably means your InDesign installation is corrupt, and you should uninstall and then reinstall. Note that taking the 5.0.4 upgrade is not sufficient -- that only incrementally replaces the pieces of InDesign tha changed from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4. But if the thing that got corrupted/broken/missing/damaged isn't one of them, it won't help. So again: uninstall and reinstall.

It's probably not worth it, but you might go find line 387 of the listed script and post what it is. It's probably not going to help, but it is what would be the "normal diagnostic path" for an error like that.

I very much doubt this has much to do with fonts.

As for the crash report, gaaack, those CS3 crash reports are hard to read.

Cross-refererencing the first 4 frames by hand with the binaryImageSet section, we get:

0x1e388db0 Open Place.InDesignPlugin

0x205639a7 Utilities.InDesignPlugin

0x20563bce Utilities.InDesignPlugin

0x1c9d4744 Actions.InDesignPlugin

0x00f0d775 PublicLib.dylib

That is...not helpful. It would suggest the problem relates to Opening or Placing something,

and it's probably an internal InDesign resource that it tries to open as part of the normal startup.

This is consistent with installation corruption though.

So... reinstall.

It won't actually take that long.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to adamsa697

Is there no script name listed in that error? Perhaps in the titlebar?

The next step might be to uninstall again, then run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) before reinstalling. I'd suggest, too, that you start the Mac with extensions disabled (hold down the shift key while you start up) when you do the install.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to adamsa697

As far as I know, there's no way to run the cleaner without removing everything. While there is a "soft" limit of 3 activations, I don't think you are going to run into a problem reinstalling on the same hardware. If you do, there's a phone number you can call and get a reset after explaining the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points