Skip navigation
Ian Jaffray
Currently Being Moderated

In the Info panel, how do I display pixel values as values, not as percentages?

Mar 15, 2013 1:06 PM

I'm trying to show, using the eye dropper tool, the actual values of pixels in an 8-bit grayscale image (Mode command confirms that's what's there). In the Info panel, the eye dropper tool displays percentages for every type of color information (K, CMYK), while the "8-bit" field remains blank.

I've looked at Properties and pretty much everything else that I can find with no luck.

Photoshop CS6, 64 bit, Win7-64

Thanks!

Ian J.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to Ian Jaffray

Grayscale readout in Info panel will display a blackness percentage instead of a pixel value.

If your grayscale document's profile is the gray equivalent of your RGB working space then you can use the RGB readout of Info panel.

For example, doc with sGray profile and RGB working space of sRGB.

Or doc with Gray Gamma 2.2 profile and RGB working space of Adobe RGB.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Ian Jaffray

The word "8-bit" isn't a label for a field that's empty: it's supposed to be telling you the format of the value(s) above it.

However, something is clearly wrong when a blackness percentage instead of an 8-bit integer is displayed above "8-bit". Note that 16-bit and 32-bit display of info does display the expected format for Grayscale info: a 16-bit integer and a float, respectively.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to Ian Jaffray

Ian Jaffray wrote:

In case I didn't make it clear, it's the "K" value that's displaying in percentages with this image, I guess because that is what is supposed to happen with the profile that PShop believes is associated with the image I'm analyzing.

That was clear but I don't think Photoshop is correct to show a percentage when the user specifies 8-bit and the word "8-bit" is displayed.

In my opinion, there should be 4 numerical options for displaying pixel info: percentage, 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit (float). Instead, there is no percentage option but percentages are shown for Grayscale and CMYK info when the user has actually specified 8-bit, and the result is you having to do handstands to get the 8-bit values of Grayscale pixels.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to Ian Jaffray

What do you see in the Panel Options dialog?

FlyOut.png

PanelOptions.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Ian Jaffray

Ian Jaffray wrote:

Noel,

Thanks for your reply. I thought this had been fixed by recreating the Preferences file, but this morning I was back to percentages. I did have different settings in the Info Panel from the ones in your very helpful picture, and after I changed mine to match yours I now see 0-255 values in the R, G, B settings when using the eyedropper on this grayscale image.

Instead of RGB Color for the First Color Readout I had "Actual Color". This by itself causes percentages to be displayed. All options for the Second Color Readout all seem to produce percentages.

"Actual Color" is what I normally use for the first readout. In the case of a Grayscale document, it will display a K (black) value. For a RGB image, it will display R,G and B values. And so on.

When 8-bit is chosen for the value format, we expect a value of 0..255 to be displayed. As you know, that works fine for the RGB readout, but a Grayscale readout displays a percentage instead.

So if you set one of the readouts to RGB and 8-bit, you can get 0..255 values to be displayed for your Grayscale document.

Screen-shot-2013-03-16-at-15.14.53.png

Screen-shot-2013-03-16-at-14.56.32.png

When the document is Grayscale, the RGB values are a conversion from the document colour space to the RGB working space as defined in Edit > Color Settings. To get the true values of the pixels, the Grayscale document profile and RGB working space must be complementary (for lack of a better word). That's why, in my first reply, I said to use the following combinations:

Doc with sGray profile and RGB working space of sRGB.

Doc with Gray Gamma 2.2 profile and RGB working space of Adobe RGB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points