Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using selections in Word or Print Shop

Mar 15, 2013 4:43 PM

Tags: #photoshop #11 #element

How can I use selections in Elements in word and Print Shop or anything else so they still have a transparent background.  Even if I save them with a transparent background, when I insert or copy the image into another program it has a white background.  HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2013 11:47 PM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

Did you try saving the file as a png?

File>Save As>PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

I just made a "postmark"  in Elements for a greeting card and inserted in to my card  program..

Be sure that you have trasnsparency all around the object. I dragged the padlock on the background layer to the trash can and deleted same, flattened the layers. Then, go to File>save for web and save as PNG24

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

Make sure that the end result is just the one layer with transparent background as in hatstead's example. Also, when you save to png, check if there is a "preserve transparency" or similarly named option in the save dialog. My PSE version does not, but maybe yours does.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

This is a logo

we worked on for someone a few days ago. Your work flow may differ, but the principle is the same: you need to end up with the foreground surrounded by transparency.

1. I opened the logo picture
    2. Duplicated the background layer
    3. Used the magic wand tool on the background copy layer to select the white background, then hit delete on the keyboard to delete the background
    4. Used CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants
    5. Added  a text layer
    6. At this stage the background still shows up because the background layer is still turned on. If you click on the eye to shut it off, the background will not be seen

7. Before flattening, I will drag the background to the trash

capture2.JPG

AFTER:

capture4.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

If you are so inclined, please post your picture (or a similar one), indicating the object that you want to insert into WORD,  so that we may try it.

To do that, at the top of the reply box find a camera icon. Click on it, point to your file, then click on "insert" near the bottom of the reply box.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

Never flatten. Just merge layers if you want transparency and you need an un-layered file. Flattening makes the image into a background layer, which removes any transparency, since background layers can't be transparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to tmlewis2nd

No problem.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status