Skip navigation
Husky99
Currently Being Moderated

Graphics Processor Settings for CS6 and new iMac

Mar 15, 2013 6:13 PM

Just got one of the brand-new 27 inch iMacs a few days ago, one with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX (2GB GDDR5) video card.

I'm using Photoshop CS6.

Every time I enable Photoshop to take advantage of the video card for additional memory - Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings - I run into constant problems.

Constant delays, is the better description.

I'm talking about the "colored spinning wheel" icon appearing just about every 30 seconds and holding me up for about just about the same period of time.

Turning off the use of the video card solves the problem every time.  No "colored spinning wheel" icon appearing - ever.

I got the larger video card hoping to take advantage of as much available memory as possible; unfortunately, it looks like there seems to be a problem with the interaction between Photoshop CS6 and the video card's driver.

I've got all the latest updates for both the Mac OS and Photoshop. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 15, 2013 8:32 PM   in reply to Husky99

Do you have the latest update for Photoshop?

That's a pretty new video card...  It may be that you need an update from Apple that's not yet available.  Be sure and let Apple know about this problem.  They're likely the ones who will have to fix it.  Until then, can you drop back to Normal or even Basic mode to recover functionality?  Adobe provides those settings as alternatives for when something isn't working.

You mention "for additional memory"...  You are not changing your Photoshop max RAM limit in anticipation of the VRAM helping or something along those lines, are you?  VRAM and RAM are used for entirely different things.  Unless you're doing 3D work that video card VRAM isn't really going to help you with much in Photoshop. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 15, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to Husky99

I don't think it's a bad choice; if nothing else it's somewhat future-proof.  I have a 2 GB video card myself (ATI 7850).

I don't have Nik plug-ins, but do they say they use OpenGL or OpenCL to accelerate their operations?  If so, the powerful GPU will be a help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points