Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Arrow generator and more transitions for Premiere?

Mar 15, 2013 11:46 PM

Tags: #video #transitions #arrows #generators

I'm coming over from Final Cut Pro, which I've used for years to make how-to videos. In these videos I draw a lot of circles around things and reveal them with a clock wipe (which makes it look like I'm drawing them), and I also make arrows (with an arrow generator from Stibs) that I reveal with an edge wipe, which makes the arrows look like they're extending out to point at something. And so forth.

I'm just getting my first taste of Premiere, but I don't see any arrow generator, nor most of the transitions I'm used to. In fact, compared to FCP there seems to be a great lack of transitions in general for Premiere. Is there any way to add shape and arrow generators and more transitions to Premiere?

I'd really like to use Premiere, which looks like a great video editor, but if it doesn't  have the tools I need I guess I'll have to go over to Final Cut Pro X, which I'd really hate to do. Premiere is a lot like FCP in many respects, so it seems familiar, and I can carry the skills over, and besides, after Apple yanked the rug out from under me by orphaning Final Cut 7, I really don't want to stay with them if I can help it. I don't trust them anymore.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

The PC version has more transitions and filters than the Mac version. Having said that I would like to see Premiere Pro 7.0 get a few new transitions with a few key frame able parameters and CUDA support.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Transitions - pc vs. mac.

Premiere-CS5-Video-Transitions-Win-Mac-51-missing.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

I'm probably not suggesting something you've already thought of but here goes anyway. You can make an arrow in the title tool, with shapes or the pen tool. I know it's not exactly what you're asking for but there you go.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

One option would be to use Transitions from a 3rd party supplier, like Pixelan. Unfortunately, at this time, Pixelan does not have any Mac Transitions, but there are probably several suppliers, who do. As I am a PC-only guy, I just do not know who is doing 3rd party Transitions for the Mac, but there are bound to be some.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

There are lots of clip art arrows out there, and they can be brought into Photoshop (or Illustrator) to be manipulated, or maybe just traced. Then just save the PSD or Ai files of every type of arrow you normally use.

If you want to get really fancy, use After Effects to create, animate or manipulate your arrows.

If you want to post some pictures of your favorite arrows, it might be fun to see what some of us could do with them.

In any case, while the Mac may not have enough transitions, you may not actually "need" a transition to accomplish your goal.

Edit: Found this - http://www.monologue.gr/tutorials/an-animated-arrow-tutorial-to-rule-t hem-all/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Joe,

Not bad. I once had a project where I used a font for arrows and completely forgot about that. I'll have to bookmark those sites.

Lady Kathleen - if you are having problems with your new computer, perhaps what you need, to stay with your metaphor, are new driving gloves. Or, at worst, driving lessons from the computer equivalent of Danica Patrick.

We see a lot of FCP users asking for FCP features. It's normal to want what you used to have. I get it. Apple left you folks behind. You have been betrayed. But those of us who have always been Adobe Premiere, and then Adobe Premiere Pro users have been faithfully putting in our bug reports and feature requests for many years. Personally, as you can see from the date I joined this forum, I have been doing this for over a decade.

We welcome all new users, but there are times when FCP users complain that we use workarounds to get where we are going. Well, yes, perhaps. But more likely, in many cases, we are just used to doing it a certain way because, well, just because that is the way we have always done it.

Stick with it. Learn Premiere Pro. Get into After Effects a little, at least enough to be able to download a template and modify it for your own use. We will help when we can. The majority of us are PC users so there is a limit to our Mac knowledge.

Give the fonts listed above a try. Perhaps they will solve your immediate problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

On Windows I can type  Alt + 24 = ↑; Alt + 25 = ↓; Alt + 26 = →; Alt + 27 = ←

Can't do that on a Mac though. Oh well. Not for nuthin' I would rather make my own arrows than suffer the render times on FCP (alt +1)

best wishes,

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

You can make an arrow real quick (20 seconds) with the titling tool. I do it all the the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

See this video and watch at about 2:47 for the arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2meyRQBwT8&hd=1

Does this do what you want?

http://www.noiseindustries.com/fxfactory/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to Peru Bob

Lady Kathleen,

Do you happen to have a short clip or two or three of what you are looking for?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Can I e-mail or upload it somewhere?

Of course you can silly

YouTube / Vimeo. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to shooternz

Just mark the YouTube video as "Unlisted" so that your YouTube followers will not see it. Only people with the link will be able to see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Looks good.

Those a pretty basic arrows and boxes etc so I woud just make them inthePremiere Titler.

IIRC..., FCP never had much facilty to create Titles and you may find that Premiere Titler will surprise you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:48 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

That is the drawback of having Premiere on a Mac.

It has far less transitions then Premiere on Windows.

Including clock wipe and several wipes.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

There is no need for you to keep using a Mac. You need to get a PC if you like Premiere Pro. The PC version of Premiere Pro can do so much more than FCP 7 or FCP 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

The day Apple gets FCP X just the way everyone wants it is the day they will trash it and start over from scratch again. This is their pattern.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Kathleen

Is there a Linear Wipe on  Mac Premiere?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

FCP X does not have a good titling tool like Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro on the PC would blow away FCP 7 and 10. You can get a good PC for video editing for $950.00. A GT 640 would work but at GTX 650 Ti would be even better. You need to give up on the Mac if you want to use Premiere Pro to it's fullest potential. You can adjust track height and length very easy in Premiere Pro. You need to spend more time with Premiere Pro before giving up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

PC  Premiere has a specif ic wipe named Linear Wipe and it can be feathered, rotated etc.

Seems like that is not on Mac Premiere.  Pity because its very handy and versatile.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen,

Before making any decision about whether or not to give up on Premiere Pro, keep one thing in mind: the next major release of Premiere Pro will be the first one since Apple announced FCP X and presented Adobe with an unprecedented opportunity to grab a bigger share of the NLE market. If I'm Adobe, over the past year I will have been studying very carefully what I need to do to make PPro as attractive as possible to people like you. I have to believe a substantial number of enhancements in the next release of PPro will be designed to convert over as many FCP users as possible. Oh, and guess what? The NAB show is in a few weeks. I'd wait till then before making any decisions, one way or another.  

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

The problem is not Premiere Pro Lady Kathleen. The problem is the paradigm that you are holding onto ( Mac Pro + FCP) . Your eight year old Mac Pro could not touch my PC system.  FCP 7 could not keep up with Premiere Pro 4.0 let alone Premiere Pro 6.0.  I have a clock wipe on the PC side not to mention I can create arrows as well as many more complex graphics with Premiere Pro that you could not creat in FCP 7.  I can create titles and track mattes real easy in PP but I highly doubt I could do that using FCP.  There should be no need to use an arrow generator at all. FCP needed it because there was no titling system for FCP 7. FCP kind of sucked in that area. If you opt to use Premiere get a PC rather than insisting that FCP 7 is more capable than PP CS 6.0 becuase it is not. PP CS 6.0  matched with a $700.00 Windows 7 PC would smoke your Mac Pro and FCP 7. $700.00 is not that much money to spend if it will let you do what you want to do much better and faster. Are you editing video for fun or as a full time career?

[remarks of a personal or sarcastic nature have been removed]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen wrote:

That's a good thought, Taverino--thanks. Thanks again to everyone who has replied with help. I appreciate it. By the time I get the hang of Premiere, or after its next round of enhancements, it may have the features I'm after. Just a decent number of video transitions would be a great improvemet.

There are lots of third party transitions, have you checked them out?

Lady Kathleen wrote:

There aren't nearly as many Macs as there are PCs, hence, Adobe gives the goodies (many extra transitions for example) to the PC version, where there are more people to buy it. (Assuming that all those extra transitions are from Adobe, and not third-party plug-ins).

There are more transitions on the PC version, but it's not true about giving PC users more effects because of financial incentive. It has more to do with how the 2 versions were developed.

Lady Kathleen wrote:

Hey Adobe! Premeire needs a lot more transitions for Macs! And a Stibs-style arrow generator wouldn't be such a bad thing either!

Sure, make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

In the mean time, check out third party transitions. There are even some free ones out there, here's some:
    http://www.filmimpact.net/index.php/plugins/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen wrote:

I haven't yet figured out how to change track height in Premiere. There are four icons for track size in FCP, and a click on any of them instantly changes track size, so that's what I'm used to. Haven't yet found such a control in Premiere, but then I haven't watched all of the Lynda.com videos about Premiere either, and I don't yet have any tutorial book or manual.

In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box you can make your own keyboard shortcuts for increasing or descreasing track height. You can also drag between track to enlarge them.

Lady Kathleen wrote:

Haven't given up on Premiere, but it doesn't seem as capable as FCP with Motion, LiveType, Soundtrack, and Compressor. I can bounce in and out of those other progams quickly from FCP and bring in all sorts of special effects.

It's just as capable as Final Cut Studio, if not more so. I can say this because I wrote a book on FCP and even worked inside Apple on 2 versions of Final Cut Studio. You just need more time in the pilot's seat.

Lady Kathleen wrote:

Not sure yet whether After Effects can substitute for LiveType and Motion.

It definitely is. Unless you're reliant upon the rather cheezy LiveFonts (and let's hope you aren't), you should be fine.

Lady Kathleen wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any Adobe substitute for Soundtrack with all its music clips, sound effects, and background ambiance audio.

There is Adobe Audition. You can download Loopology, which are free libraries of music tracks, sound effects, etc. You can also bring in certain clips from your Soundtrack Pro library into Audition.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points