Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

72 or 96 pixels/inch

Mar 16, 2013 11:12 AM

When starting a new FW CS6 document for a graphic intended to go on a website (via Dreamweaver). The default pixels/inch is 72. These days, shouldn't it be 96? My plan is to make the graphic exactly the size I want it when I place it in the website-- no futzing around with size in Dreamweaver. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to parker lambert

The pixel density (PPI) is pretty much irrelevant in Fireworks and on the web. It's the total # of pixels that matters (a.k.a. the dimensions of the canvas). The final size on screen will be determined by the pixel dimensions of the graphic divided by the pixel density of the monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to parker lambert

No, that's actually not a good idea, and not really possible or relevant. Regardless of the PPI setting in Fireworks, your monitor/display will show you the pixels of a graphic at a 1:1 ratio. Any attempt at mimicking another pixel density would involve interpolation (à la zoom).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to parker lambert

There's nothing wrong with 96ppi; it's just not going to have an effect on screen-based output.

Pixel density (PPI) is relevant for print. Perhaps it was included to accommodate graphics that were originally created for print, or for graphics destined for print. However, Fireworks really isn't set up for print-based work, so it's seldom needed. It does provide another way for modifying pixel dimensions, though; for example, if your original graphic is 72ppi, changing its print resolution to 144ppi will double its size (assuming the "Resample image" option is checked).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points