Skip navigation
efhask
Currently Being Moderated

IE 10 problem

Mar 16, 2013 12:00 PM

I already typed this a minute ago! Where did my question go?

New computer. Win 7, IE 10. Can't download my purchased Acrobat 8 product. Get "browser too old" message. Help! I paid $299 for this product 5/7/07 and now need it on my new computer.

Thanks,

Ed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to efhask

Try using a different browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to efhask

Not all browsers work well with all websites when it comes to downloading files.  It's your call if you choose to refuse.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to efhask

What difference does the browser make,

Surprisingly, it can make all the difference between downloading and not downloading - and not just with Adobe.

In the time you've taken to write these posts, you could have downloaded Chrome or Firefox and downloaded your product.

You are correct that it should be possible to download your product in IE10.

Since it's not working smoothly, the quickest answer to get you up and running may be to simply use a different browser for downloading. Takes a few minutes. I keep IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari installed and up to date at all times in case of these glitches.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to efhask

Your comment about being the biggest in the world doesn't carry much weight considering your current circumstances.  You wouldn't be here looking for help if they were indeed the great things you imagine them to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to efhask

Feel free to report it via the official Bug Report form. Don't expect a reply to your submission though.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

But then what?

You're still left in your original position with no Acrobat 8 downloading via IE10 unless you install an alternative browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to efhask

One other option you might try is to download it as a trial version from the page linked below...

You can download the trial version of the software using the link below and then use your current serial number to activate it.

Be sure to follow the steps outlined in the Note: Very Important Instructions section on the download pages at this site.

http://prodesigntools.com/download-adobe-cs4-and-cs3-free-trials-here. html

which kinda makes me wonder where you are trying to download Acrobat 8 from to begin with?

I know there is at least one product that Adobe provides older versions to download, but I don't recall Acrobat being that one.

One other thing that might await you if you are able to download it... it is possible that Acrobat 8 might not be compatible with a Windows 7 machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to efhask

Most likely this is a bug that occurs on many websites.  I think that the script that is interpreting the user-agent string interprets 'MSIE 10.0' as 'MSIE 1'.

Logical solution (until the bug is fixed): use another browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to efhask

EFHask are you attempting to download Acrobat 8 Professional from your order page?  If not which location are you attempting to download from?

If you wish to continue with Internet Explorer 10 you may want to try reseting your security and privacy settings.  You can also try disabling any plug-ins or add-ons to see if those maybe interferring.

Alternately as others have already stated you can try downloading the software using an alternate browser as well.  It is often a more expedient option when faced with compatability issues.

Finally, as Ned indicated, even with your current browser configuration you should be able to download Acrobat 8 Professional by following the directions listed at http://prodesigntools.com/download-adobe-cs4-and-cs3-free-trials-here. html.  Please make sure to complete the Very Important Instructions section prior to scrolling down the page and clicking on the download links.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to efhask

You maybe able to get Acrobat 8 to install but there could most certainly be compatibility issues.  I would recommend posting your installation difficulties with Acrobat 8 to the Acrobat Installation & Update Issues forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/installation_and_update_inst allation.

Acrobat 8 does currently qualify for upgrade pricing.  Please see http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/buying-guide-upgrade-pricing. html.

Do you have an order number for your Acrobat 8 order I can reference?  I am happy to report the difficulties you experienced but it maybe beneficial to be able to reference your order details to help duplicate the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to efhask

Ok thank you for the order number.  Btw I checked your order and it was for Acrobat 8 Standard.  This means the installer on the Prodesigntools site will not work for you as it only offers Acrobat 8 Professional.  It does appear that if you wish to download the Acrobat 8 Standard installer you will need to utilize a different web browser.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points