Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I edited my movie with an iMac. Now I have a Win but I can't open the project

Mar 16, 2013 6:38 PM

Tags: #cs5 #error #sequence #open #windows #can't #imac #codec #project

I edited my movie with Premiere Pro CS5 in an iMac. Now I need to make some changes, but I have a Windows station.

When I try to open the project, an error message comes up:

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type".

I read similar threads and I tried everything, but nothing worked.

I'd truly appreciate if anybody could lend me a hand on this.

Thank you very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

I will GUESS that your Mac project has a file with a codec that may not be edited on a Windows computer... or may not be edited until you install the codec

What is the codec of the video file you are trying to edit?

Will that video file open in a new Windows project?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Mr Challenge

OK, not being able to open a video file would SEEM to mean that something is being created on your Mac that is missing a codec on your Win

On either, please find the video file details and post back

A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30
    For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

The codec of the output video

That part isn't relevant.  He was asking about the codecs of the videos used in the project, not what you exported out of it.

But perhaps even more important might be the preview codec you had set for the sequence when on the Mac.  If it was ProRes, you might be hosed and have to complete the project on a Mac.  If it wasn't ProRes, then give this a try.

FAQ: Why are some codecs and sequence presets missing from my installation of Premiere Pro?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

About the preview codec set for the sequence, do I have any way to know about it?

Only by opening the project and checking.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

Have you tried creating a New Project, and importing the old one into it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

I've got a wild idea.  You can open a Pr Project in a text editor app.  Dupe your sequence and open it there.  And dupe and open another project that will open.  Look in the Project that won't open, and see how its header differs from the one that will.  Maybe you can copy the info from the Project that will open, paste it into the copy of the one that won't, save it, and...  see if it will open in Pr.  Worth a shot, maybe.

I have a line that says this:

<VideoPreviewCompileSettings ObjectRef="4379"/>

Maybe if it IS a preview issue, chagning the number to something known that works will help.

I'm just guessing here.  But, sounds like you're desperate.  Maybe somebody with better programming skills can help.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

Again, this is guesswork, but I'd try copying line 7 from the "good" file, and replace the line 7 in the "bad" one. 

Or, maybe try lines 1 to 15. 

Does the Windows version of Pr have XML export?   If so, you could try exporting from your older project and import into the new version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to Mr Challenge

Could I open my project in an iMac and change that preview codec so I could work on it in my Win station?

I would guess that should work, but I've never actually tried it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points