Skip navigation
SandiRetoucher
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to retrieve previous saves after files are closed?

Mar 16, 2013 7:09 PM

I had 8 psd files open, all with many layers and wanted to make a copy of each one, change resolution to 72 and save as a jpeg. I accidentlly hit the wrong action and all the psd files were flattened, changed to 72 res and closed. Is there anyway to retrieve a previous save to get back the layered files? CS6 Extended and Windows 7

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to SandiRetoucher

No, not unless you have a backup scheme in place that squirreled-away a prior version of the file, saved before.

The potential loss of work is why, while editing, it's good to learn to save your documents reasonably often, possibly in several different master files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When working on intricate files, I use Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy often. They have similarities, but also important differences.

Then, when I am doing any destructive editing, such as Image Size, etc., I always, always work from one of the Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy files, and never my final, Layered PSD files.

A good Saving scheme can, well "save" you, down the line.

@ OP,

I have had the same thing happen, and usually when I hit Save, instead of Save_As (renaming incrementally), but with my other Saves, it's just a matter of muttering to myself, Closing the file, and Opening one of those various "backup files." For some reason, there have been times, where my index finger was not firmly on the Shift key, as it should have been - "oh shucks" time.

Good luck, and while there is not a fix for what happened, let it be a learning experience, and spend a moment with those different versions of Save, then introduce them into your workflow.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points