Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Inadequate Date Created Feature in IPTC Panel

Mar 16, 2013 8:44 PM

I am currently having a service digitize about 3,000 of my photos, shot of 35mm film. I am entering IPTC metadata using Photoshop's File Info….

I want to use the Date Created feature. Fortunately, I have the exact calendar day of most of my photos. However, in a few cases, I know only the year and the month, and not the specific day.

Much to my chagrin, I have discovered the Date Created feature doesn't support entering only a year and a month (unless I'm missing something.) I thought it would support, for example: 19860100, for an unknown day in January 1986.

I wonder what archivists do about this. Simply not use the Date Created feature?

I am entering the date in the description too.

Related info:

http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number= 877

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to NY2LA

If you want the metadata of the date created to be read in Bridge or other browsers I believe you can not just change the IPTC field in File Info.  I tried this and the Date Created was unchanged, even though in IPTC field it was changed.

I have see posts where you can get a 3 party program to change the Date Created field. 

As far as the day the pictue was shot without a diary don't believe that is possible.  Just pick a number you like and use that for all of them.  If 3rd party re-dating program works with 00 as the day try one and see if Bridge or other browsers works with it before doing 3000.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to NY2LA

You have to be careful of what different programs call Date Created.  For instance in Bridge Date Created is the date when picture was taken or scanned.  It can not be changed in Bridge.  Windows Explorer lists Date Created but it really is Date FILE Created.  It does not show Date Created.  Do not know what Flickr shows.

Look at an image in Bridge where the Date Created and Date File Created are different and see what other programs call Date Created.

In Photoshop I clicked File Info and changed Date Created in the IPTC field.  But looking at the image in Bridge the metadata for Date Created is still the original date even though if you look in File info it has changed..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to NY2LA

Perhaps it works different on a Mac, but there is no reason for this.

Here are my screen shots.

date created test IPTC.JPG

date created test metadata.JPG

As you can see it changes the date in the IPTC field, but not the metadata field in Bridge. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to NY2LA

Yes, and I am also repeating what others have reported, to their disgust, that you can not change Date Created in Bridge as this field is set by camera or scanner.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to NY2LA

That field does have the same name but it is not the actual date created you are amending. You are amending the Photoshop schema not the EXIF schema or the XMP schema

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to NY2LA

Goto file info, select the Advanced Tab and look at the various Schemas. You are only altering the Photoshop Schema.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to NY2LA

No, it's just a fact that you can not change the actual date of the file within Bridge.

If you really wanted to change the actual date you would need to use an external program such as ExifTool.

It just depends on what data you need to have.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to NY2LA

Yes it does, IPTC uses more than one schema, the Photoshop field for date created is part of IPTC

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Paul Riggott

You should be able to download some information from here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to NY2LA

That's fine. There are various dates involved with a document, so long as you are using the fields that you want to use that's all that counts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points