Skip navigation
techprodn
Currently Being Moderated

Completely Stumped With Layers

Mar 16, 2013 11:57 PM

I have been trying to understand the using of layers in Elements 10 for about the last three weeks, but I have no idea. I have looked at all the help information read the "Dummies" books but am getting nowhere.

What I want to do:

I have an artwork (done by a professional graphic artist about two years ago --- I am guessing he used Photoshop) that comprises on the one canvas ( I guess that would be the best description) four identical sized square photos that are placed side by side with a very slight gap between each photo. Three of the photos have, I am presuming, numerous layers applied (ie a main background photo and then numerious pieces of smaller photos and text overlayed --- each one of the three photos being a form of collage), the fourth photo is just the plain photo with nothing on top and no modification.

Once compiled the lot (I guess) was flattened and saved as both a JPG and a PDF file. The PDF file also having crop marks applied. I was given a copy of both of these files at the time and they were given to a printer for replication.

I would now like to be able to use the same canvas (artwork) but would like to change the fourth photo to something more 2013.

To achieve this, I am presuming that I need to open the initial PDF file (I have done this OK) and then by using a new layer somehow (from here on I am stumped!!!) import the new photo and place it directly over the old fourth photo, flatten the lot and then save the finished product as a new PDF file.

However, with my complete lack of knowledge, I can not do it. I have done as everything (books, video, etc) states in relation to creating a new layer in the layers panel, but I can not go any further.

I am sure that any six year old Grade 1 student would be able to achieve what I want, but not me !!!!

Can anyone tell me (or tell me where to find what I require) in "super dummie" language, the step by step way to do what I want. OR, am I approaching the task in the completely wrong way, or even with the wrong program.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, as I can not find the graphic artist who did the initial job (he has apparently moved to another State somewhere).

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to techprodn

David,

Try this:

Open the file with all the layers showing

Delete the layer targeted for deletion

Open a blank layer in this exact location

Go to File>place and point to the replacement file on your disk, put it in the blank layer, use the handles to resize

You may have to address the issue of resolution if there is a great variance between the original and replacement.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to techprodn

I'm having similar issues and like you David, I just can't seem to get it  I have downloaded a template from a site from which I purchased a facebook timeline.  I've followed the instruction, however, when I try and place my picture in one of the spaces where they tell you to place it, it snaps into the middle and is just a little thumbnail.  There has to be a quick fix for this, but I can't seem to figure it out!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points