Skip navigation
DANIELCISNEROS
Currently Being Moderated

HELP NEEDED!! (please) CS6

Mar 17, 2013 5:45 AM

Tags: #photoshop #crash #cs6 #tmp #recovered

HELP NEEDED!  I have been working for 3 days in a "new doc". Of course i have saved several times (control+s)

but i do not remember it asking me about file name or folder. Today my comp crashed and i do not find the file. Just found 2 files (a tmp and one with no extension)

: one with 174 mg and another one with almost 2 gb. Is there any possibility to recover my work? Photoshop did not oppened a thing when i restarted comp

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

What operating system?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 17, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

Use Windows File Explorer and search for files modified on the date you saved the docoument on.

Search.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

Is there anything listed under File > Open Recent?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

Try this: Press the F2 key and add the extension .psd (don't forget the dot)

miss_marple

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

Did the computer crash while you were working on the psd?  If you had checked "automatically save recovery info" check the scratch drive for a file PSAutoRecover.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

DANIELCISNEROS wrote:

how can i do that???

Open the scratch drive and look for entry PSAutoRocover or search for this file.  But first look in Edit/file handling and see if feature enabled, and you were working on it long enough for feature to trigger.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

The TMP file is your Scratch Disk file, and cannot be "recovered" to an Image file.

Your second file might be almost anything. Though designed more for video files, both G-Spot and MediaInfo (both free file info utilities), CAN read several Still Image file types, and might help point out what that file (the one with no extension) really is. OTOH, as it could be almost anything, it could be that there is no header info in the file, for either to read.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Before I did much additional work, I would investigate WHY your computer shut down. If you are on a PC, I would go into Event Viewer, at the time of the shutdown, and see if you can track down any warning, or error messages, in both the System and Applications Tabs. I am pretty sure that a Mac has similar, but have not a clue where, or even what it would be called.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 17, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

You should be able to find the file you had saved via Control S.  Don't give up on that.

How did you initially open the file?  Was it an existing PSD file already on disk?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 17, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to DANIELCISNEROS

The details as you have described them don't make sense. 

Didn't you notice whether it saved successfully or emitted any error message?

Photoshop won't just save a file somewhere on its own.  It just doesn't work that way.

Search your computer for files modified in the proper time frame.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points