Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Tinting shadows with Gradient Editor

Mar 17, 2013 5:40 AM

I recently saw a presentation that spoke of tinting shadows on an image by converting to black and white, then

creating a gradient map layer.  From there you went into the Gradient Editor and place the cursor directly beneath

the gray scale, and starting from the black end, move it toward the white end until the arrow cursor changes to a

finger pointer.  You then use the value in Location...

Unfortunately, every time I do this my cursor is ALWAYS a pointing finger.  I can put in color stops, but I don't

believe that was what the technique used...  I've tried using alt, ctrl, and/or shift in all the combinations I can

think of, but no matter what I do, I always get the pointing finger instead of the arrow cursor.

Does anyone know what I need to do differently to get the Gradient Editor to show an arrow cursor until I reach

whatever point I should be at when it changes to a pointing finger?  And what IS that point?  Does it represent

the darkest black in the image, or what?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

place the cursor directly beneath the gray scale

What is this supposed to mean?

Could you please provide screenshots?

Unfortunately, every time I do this my cursor is ALWAYS a pointing finger. 

Even if you hover directly above a color stop?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to DavePinMinn

The cursor is a pointing hand under most of the gradient bar and will become an arrow when over a colour stop or a midpoint marker, which is a little circle. If you've just opened the gradient editor and not adjusted the gradient yet, no midpoint marker will be visible. Click a colour stop to see a midpoint marker. Then you can drag the midpoint or click it and read/enter a value for its location.

midpoint.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points