Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

i have an MTS file loaded in PreEl11 but cannot get any audio effects to load onto audio track

Mar 17, 2013 4:18 PM

Why can't i use audio effects on MTS audio track in PreEl 11? not one of the audio effects will load onto the audio track. i get the circle with the line through it..

any ideas?

also, i have in the past wanted to take an audio track out of PreEl to twead in an audio editing program but cannot find out if that's possible or how to do it.

thanks,

gene

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to genesmachine

There is no reason you should not able to add any audio effect to your clip's audio.

Is your computer running Windows or Mac? If Windows have you manually gone to Windows update and downloaded all of the non-critical updates (that dont' install automatically)? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media tools to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

Under the Edit menu, what project settings are listed?

What do you mean by "take an audio track out of PreEl to twead in an audio editing program"?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Gene, it appears you're trying to respond to the e-mail RSS rather than posting to the forum.

If you want to reply to this thread, you'll need to go to the Adobe forums web site.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Is your camcorder set to shoot in 60p or 60i? in FH mode you have both options.

Are you recording in stereo or 5.1 audio? Your cam shoots in either.

Have you tried Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tools to get the video from the camcorder to your computer over a USB connection into a new project to see if this gives you different project settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to genesmachine

If that's the case -- assuming you're shooting in stereo and not 5.1 audio -- your project is properly set up.

When you add the clip to your timeline, do you let it fully conform before you start editing it?

Try opening a new project, add one of your clips to it and watch the messages along the bottom of the program. When it has fully conformed, try adding an effect to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Try starting a new project by going to File/New -- Select Full AVCHD with 5.1 audio and check the option to Force Settings on Project. Then import a sample clip from your video and see if the audio performs differently.

There is no easy way to export the audio from a clip of your movie for editing. However, you can output your movie's audio using Publish & Share/Computer/Audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

I will be interested in seeing Genesmachine's report on your suggested test - setting up the Project for 5.1 Audio.

Thinking about this issue, keeps bringing my mind back to how Audio Effects worked in Premiere Pro - different program from PrE, but with some similarity. For many versions of PrPro, the Audio Effects were separated into different channel counts, i.e. some were mono-only, while some were stereo-only and a few were 5.1-only. That did not change until about PrPro CS 5.5, or CS 6, when they all were combined into one Bin, and there was no separation of Effects by channel-count. PrE added full support for 5.1 Import at what, PrE 8? PrE, before that point had Audio Effects only for stereo or mono (no separate Effects for either), but did not have Effects for 5.1, as it was not supported for Import. PrE was actually a little smarter, than its "big-brother," as it would seamlessly switch between mono and stereo Audio Effects. With the addition of 5.1, it seemed to retain that "smartness," and just seamlessly go between the three Audio formats. However, I wonder if it needs to have the Project set up for 5.1, to "unlock" the Audio Effects for that format? The test might go a long way to answering that question.

It could also be that I am going way out on a limb, trying to rationalize the Audio Effects differences between PrPro and PrE - they might not have any relationship, what so ever?

Still, I think that your test might well answer the question of why Effects cannot go onto some Clips, depending on their location on an Audio Track.

Genesmachine, please report the results on Steve's test, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to genesmachine

Genesmachine,

One way to rip the Audio from your Clips, would be to Import the full AV Clip into an audio-editing program, such as Adobe Audition (normally, the great, free audio-editor, Audacity, can Import most AV Clips and do the same, but I do not know if it can Import MTS 5.1 Audio files and work with them?), and then Export a 2-channel, mixed Audio file, to be Imported into Premiere. That file from Audition would be Saved_As a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and would be a separate 2-channel Audio file. One would then sync that up to the Video file, Group the two, and then edit them like they would, with the Muxed (combined Audio & Video). It's a bit more work to do it that way, but works well, if a Muxed AV file contains an Audio Stream, that Premiere cannot handle natively.

I would try Steve's method, outlined in his test, first, as if it works, as expected, would certainly be easier in way of a workflow.

Also, the workflow, that you discovered (Moving the Audio Clip to another Track), might be easier, than ripping and replacing the Audio Stream too. I would never have even thought of experimenting with that little alteration, and thank you for pointing it out.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points