Skip navigation
LornaFitzroy
Currently Being Moderated

Linked PSD files not found when opening .ai files via shared folder

Mar 17, 2013 6:33 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #mac #folder_sharing

My main user folder on the iMac is set to be shared (read/write, including all enclosed files) with my MacBook Pro so that I can get someone to help me on a big job. The job is a series of one-page InDesign files (they are newspaper advertisements). The IDD files contain a series of Illustrator files with linked PSD files.

The idea is that we can both work on the .idd and .ai files in the same folder at the same time.

It's all working fine EXCEPT that whenever an .ai file is opened on the MacBook, Illustrator doesn't know where the linked PSD files are. We can update the link, but when the .ai file is then opened on the iMac and saved, the same thing happens the next time it is opened on the Macbook.

I don't want to embed the PSD files into the .ai files as sometimes I have to modify them and they can be linked to up to 20 .ai files. Any ideas?

G5 iMac OSX 10.7.5 / Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.2 / networked via FireWire cable / file sharing on, laptop user has Administrator status, all files are read/write, permissions include all enclosed files / CS6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to LornaFitzroy

Unless the linked files are all relative to the main document in the same folder or a sub-folder, this is to be expected. Storing files outside the folder would cause absolute paths to be stored and those naturally are different when accessed from different network locations. Similarly, when this folder is inside a user's folder and not the root of a volume, the user's file path will force the path info to become absolute again because there will always be one user under a different name. sounds all perfectly normal and unless you restructure your folders, this will always be this way.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:46 AM   in reply to LornaFitzroy

But why do you need the linked files when you place the ai file in InDesign. Place the ai file and this file contains in its pdf part all needed information to print and export from InDesign.

Only when you open the ai file in Illustrator the links (and fonts) are necessary. But for the use in InDesign it is not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to LornaFitzroy

If you are rebooting the computer holding down T to share via firewire, that is your problem. that mounts the other computer as a hardrive and probably messes up the filepath.

Turn on sharing via Ethernet or wireless

Connecting two computers using Ethernet

You can use an Ethernet cable to connect two Mac computers and share files or play network games.

To connect two computers using Ethernet:

Connect a standard Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on one computer to the Ethernet port on the other. You don’t need to use an Ethernet crossover cable.

If your computer doesn’t have an Ethernet port, try using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter.

On each computer, choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sharing. Note the computer name for each computer.

In the Finder on one of the computers, choose Go > “Connect to Server,” and then click Browse.

Double-click the other computer in the window and enter your password, if necessary.

If you manually configured the TCP/IP settings for the Ethernet service on the computer you are connecting to, you may need to enter that computer’s TCP/IP address in the “Connect to Server” dialog.

To see or set the TCP/IP address, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Network, and select Ethernet in the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to LornaFitzroy

If you have an Illustraor from the cloud, the latest version has a package feature very similiar to the same feature in InDesign. This might help you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points