Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't select transition

Mar 17, 2013 7:04 PM

Often times I can not select a transition when I place the Selection Tool over it. Instead, it becomes a red arrow pointing either left or right depending on how I select it. I find that I have to zoom in so that I can select it. Is there an easy way to select a transition without having to zoom?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to StanWelks

No. You have to zoom in toget past the trim tools that Adobe put in there to do us a favor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:28 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Yes .Use a shortcut key to select edit point and trim / edit mode...that Adobe put there to do us a favour by request of users.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to shooternz

Craig, which shortcut key would that be? I know if I hold the mouse steady enough and I am not zoomed out too far on a long sequence, I can sometimes select the transition. I know how to ask for the trim tools, I just don't know how to tell Premiere Pro that I do not want to trim.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Sorry Steven.

I kind of mis read the OP and was thinking more of Trim Tools and finding the edit point on a compressed up  timeline.

Once a Transition is in place, one does have to zoom in to select  it .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to StanWelks

The frustration you're experiencing is new to CS6, possibly a result of now being able to select not just a clip or a transition, but the actual edit point between clips (a feature I'd dearly love to be able to turn off).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to StanWelks

Create a feature request for better edit and transition selection. http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I get annoyed at this sometimes too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to StanWelks

StanWelks wrote:

Just curious, was this a well know change that Adobe did as you guys suggested it was a "favor"? Personally, I find it really annoying when just trying to select a transition and not being able to do it without zooming all the way in. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Thanks.

The "\" key allows you to quickly toggle zooming in and out. Most definitely you can grab the transition then.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to StanWelks

Reason #44 why I like CS5x better.

Before they tweak this issue I hope that they give me my transport tools back. The more I edit with CS6, the more agravated I get about it.

This issue is a pain as well. It has complicated simple transition tweaking.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

StanWelks wrote:

Just curious, was this a well know change that Adobe did as you guys suggested it was a "favor"? Personally, I find it really annoying when just trying to select a transition and not being able to do it without zooming all the way in. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Thanks.

The "\" key allows you to quickly toggle zooming in and out. Most definitely you can grab the transition then.

Well actually it does not. You have to use the + and - key, or some other keystroke.

I use playhead + alt.

If you hit the \ you get the whole timeline. If you hit it again you are back where you started.

Stephen: I am getting used to these trim tools now but the transitions are a big pita.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

This issue is a pain as well. It has complicated simple transition tweaking.

Definitely!  Do let Adobe know with that Feature Request.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

Kevin Monahan wrote:

StanWelks wrote:

Thanks.

Well actually it does not. You have to use the + and - key, or some other keystroke.

I use playhead + alt.

If you hit the \ you get the whole timeline. If you hit it again you are back where you started.

Stephen: I am getting used to these trim tools now but the transitions are a big pita.

Hi Ann,

I set it up by zooming in close enough to grab a transition manually. From that point forward, the \ key will zoom in and out at that level. Does that not work for you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points