Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge not working

Mar 17, 2013 10:59 PM

In my Window 7 Adobe Design Suite CS6, Bridge doesn't seem to worik. (I had never used it before, but now need it.)

I tried starting Bridge from the EXE file. A flash in the lower task bar of Windows, then nothing. The Task Manager does not show it running either. The Mini-Bridge shows "Click to Launch Bridge," but the time-icon just spins on and on, with no effect. It is the same in all the applications.

I completely reinstalled CS6, but the results are the same.

I tried the Ctrl-Shift-Alt trick to delete the preferences, but I have no idea if it worked or not. Is there another way to remove the preferences?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

To reset preferences in Bridge hold the Ctrl key and start Bridge.  You will get a reset window with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

You do not have to open Bridge to reset preferences as stated in Post #1.  Reinstalling will not change this file if there are errors in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

Note: if you have another version of Bridge running in the background no other version will load.  Check in Task Manager Processes tab for bridge.exe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 7:19 PM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

When you look at the Bridge.exe it should have about 20,282 kb. 

Do you by chance have CS2 on your computer?  If so look at post #64 on this thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1028447?start=40&tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

And, yes, I have CS2 (folder named "Bridge" and CS3 ("Bridge CS3") on my computer, though I only use InDesign with those older suites. All the others were deleted.

As a Mac user I leave the Windows details to Curt but if you have deleted applications instead of official uninstalling then that could lead to problems. But even uninstall is not deleting all files and settings. On a Mac there are always several files in user libraries that don't get uninstalled. Therefor you have to use the Clean tool for CS suite.

If you want to start fresh then that might be your goal. Uninstall everything and use the Adobe Clean Tool. Then if you do have the need for ID CS2 (must be a particular reason because you also have ID in CS6) and then reinstall CS6 again.

Also be sure to first deactivate and delete settings before uninstalling and of course have your Adobe ID and serial number at hand

Here is the part about the cleaner tool, first read the instructions carefully:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to JWH-NIRC

JWH-NIRC wrote:

And, yes, I have CS2 (folder named "Bridge" and CS3 ("Bridge CS3") on my computer

Then you need to follow the steps listed in the link I supplied to change that directory.  Then CS6 will start.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:11 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I really don't want to go through the Clean Tool and reinstall thing all over again. Did it once because it would only run "as Administrator" nad it never fixed the Bridge thing. Surely someone must know a workaround to find out what is blocking Bridge from opening...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to NIRC

Apparently you have not bothered to read the solution offered in post #6, so why ask for workarounds?  All you have to do is rename a file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points