Skip navigation
macguy5
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Get Sound Added to PDF from InDesign Export

Mar 18, 2013 6:56 AM

Tags: #audio #export #sound #interactive_pdf #acrobat_x-pro #indesign_cs-6 #add_audio #add_sound

I am trying to export and InDesign document for the purpose of creating an interactive PDF.

Here are the steps I am taking:

1.     create indesign cs6 file;

2.     export it as a swf file;

3.     import swf file in new indesign cs6 document;

4.     export the imported swf file as an interactive pdf file;

5.     animations etc . . . all work great in pdf...BUT

6.     no audio and i can't even add it in adobe acrobat pro x. (yes, i added file to resources tab in acrobat).

thanks all.

stephen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to macguy5

This is an incredibly bad workflow. I'm not surprised that it does not work. Placing SWF files into InDesign can work for single small graphics, but is not intended to work the way you're doing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Instead of Critiquing only why not suggest a method to do what he wants or suggest to him why it won't or can't happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Without knowing what type of content is involved it's not possible to make any detailed suggestions. Some things you can place InDesign (such as an embedded video) will export to native PDF annotations just fine, but a lot of the 'interactivity' in a layout in CS6 is designed with Web and SWF output in mind, and doesn't have an equivalent in the world of PDF (added to that, InDesign cannot embed the JavaScript code that's often essential to make a PDF file react to the user's input).

By far the most sensible workflow is to create the basic document in InDesign, export to Interactive PDF, then finish the job in Acrobat - but if what you're trying to achieve simply isn't possible in a PDF file, there's no point in trying.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Phillip,

As Dave says, without knowing exactly what the poster wants, it's impossible to make recommendations.

I'm probably a little flippant only because I see a lot of these postings on the InDesign forum. What people want are the "cool" animations found in SWF but they want them in a PDF file. It's usually impossible, or it looks very crude because PDF really doesn't handle embedded SWF files very well. Then there's the issue that SWF files won't actually play on many systems, and won't play on mobile.

If the poster is aiming for tablet distribution, then they should consider the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, or another third-party solution for creating tablet apps. Those apps can very successfully create animation but there is a bit of a learning curve learning how to do it. It requires getting as a minimum a Creative Cloud membership so you create and publish the apps through Adobe on an iPad, and a $100 per year Apple developer license.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Now that sounds like much better answer.  You explained why it don't work. I'm not trying to dis you or anything. I know everyone jaded because they keep seeing repeats. But we have to remember WE are here to answer questions "if we can" even if they have been asked over and over. Remember, 20  years ago you were probably at the same level the OP was.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

I appreciate the criticism! Sometimes, I'm sitting down with my coffee when I wake up and going through the forums I regularly cover, and I don't properly think out a proper answer. I need to be reminded of that. Thanks again, Phillip.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

I've given Steve an answer and kodo's for explaining. Yours now is a Good answer. You don't necessarily have to give a detailed answer. Just an explaination of why the method (work Flow) doesn't  work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to macguy5

If I had any way to do it, I would have that Adobe TV clip taken off. It gives people unrealistic expectations. Yes, it is possible to include a SWF file in a PDF, but as I outlined above, it doesn't really work well except for an occasional, isolated effect. And it won't look very professional because the display can be very ragged.

If you want to click a button and have it take you to another page; if you want to play a sound clip; and if you want a button to take you to a URL; and if your final out put is a PDF, there is no reason to use SWF at all.

And you can create the great majority of it in InDesign CS6. Here are the choices of actions for a button you can designate in InDesign. The ones at the top of the list apply to both PDF and SWF; the ones at the bottom are PDF only. It's the ones in the middle you want to avoid because they are not supported in PDF:

ID_Button.jpg

Be careful using the words "animated effects". If you mean an animation found on InDesign's Animation panel, you can't do that in PDF (except with the SWF workaround).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Now back to your original question: What audio format did you place in InDesign? Did you try to preview it in the SWF Preview panel (Window > Interactive > SWF Preview).

BTW, the SWF Preview panel only shows the effects which only work in SWF. It doesn't show PDF only features (like forms). And while it previews animations from the Animations panel, they won't work in PDF, as I said above.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to macguy5

Does the sound play if you don't include it in the SWF but place it directly in InDesign and export to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to macguy5

That will never work, as in your INDD > SWF > PDF workflow there really isn't a PDF version of your document at all. It's a one-page blank document with a massive Flash animation playing on it. There is no page content for Acrobat to attach anything to, which is why the page numbers in your Acrobat toolbar will say "1 of 1".

macguy5 wrote:

I also just tried to add audio in acrobat x after export of swf file into PDF process. Acrobat x on't even allow me to add audio after swf turned into PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 3:21 AM   in reply to macguy5

HOW TO EXPORT EMBEDDED AUDIO or VIDEO AS AN INTERACTIVE PDF FILE (USING .SWF - INDESIGN and ACROBAT PRO)

by Darren Mok

I was teaching an InDesign class today and had the same problem where students could not embed their mp3 audio files into their exported PDF file (animation would work but no audio). I solved it last week for two students but forgotten how I did it - fortunately however, after hours of tinkering I finally found the answer again!

This is what you have to do:

1.     create indesign cs6 file; (including audio)

2.     export it as a swf file; (check audio works - it should as swf in Flashplayer or html in browser) note RESOURCES folder containing audio files is also exported

3.     import swf file in new indesign cs6 document;

4.     export the imported swf file as an interactive pdf file; (animation will work but audio/video will NOT WORK!)

5.    open PDF using Acrobat Pro and right-click to set the swf properties

6.    add the exact Resources FOLDER directory that was exported when you exported the .swf (it should contain all the audio .mp3 files) - you cannot just simply add the .mp3s from ANY directory!!

Edit_SWF.png

7.     walah it should now work! save the .pdf file and you should notice a file size increase

8.     you can actually now delete the folder containing the audio (they are now embedded into the .pdf!) and the .pdf WILL PLAY AUDIO as one file!! WALAH!

9.     repeat process to embed video files as well

10.     your welcome

*PLEASE NOTE: Checking the Properties/Resources in Acrobat Pro and adding a different audio directory or indivual files will NOT WORK if it isn't the same name as the exported folder when you exported the .SWF - IT MUST BE THE SAME DIRECTORY FOLDER NAME!!

Let me know how you go and if you found this answer helpful. I agree it's an awkward way of doing it but I guarantee you it works!!

Do I get an Adobe Tier 2 Level support badge now?

Cheers.

Darren Mok

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to ultramodern

That's about the most roundabout and over-complex idea I've ever seen.

There is absolutely NO reason to go near SWF export or to faff about with replacing the RMA's asset library. If you place the media properly in InDesign and export to Interactive PDF with the Forms and Media option set to "Include All" it will work inside your PDFs provided you've not tried to export legacy media formats (e.g. WAV files), and you're opening it in a compatible application. People do this hundreds of times every day.

ultramodern wrote:

I agree it's an awkward way of doing it but I guarantee you it works!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 3:46 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Hi Dave - thanks but this is specifically if you want animation to be included in your .PDF (in which case requires .SWF).

Exporting audio otherwise is fine and is pretty easy via Indesign and exporting as you mentioned, but when you want to include animation, it's a different story.

My students are making interactive comics so this is particularly useful for it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points