Skip navigation
STS1956
Currently Being Moderated

Copying sub-categories, PSE 9 restore.

Mar 18, 2013 8:21 AM

If I use 'Restore' in PSE 9 to copy my photos to a new PC, will all my sub-categories also be copied over from the five back-up DVDS?

In the instructions for 'Restore' under PSE 9 Help, it states that, "the last disc should be inserted on request', or similar wording.  Surely I should put in each of my five discs starting with disc one?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to STS1956

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop Elements forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to STS1956

STS1956 wrote:

If I use 'Restore' in PSE 9 to copy my photos to a new PC, will all my sub-categories also be copied over from the five back-up DVDS?

In the instructions for 'Restore' under PSE 9 Help, it states that, "the last disc should be inserted on request', or similar wording.  Surely I should put in each of my five discs starting with disc one?

The backup restores the catalog entirely. The sub-categories will be restored as well as the keywords, albums and so on. I don't use CD/DVDs for backup and restore, but I can tell you that the backup process first copies and renames all picture files in the backup folder : B0000001.jpg etc. After all picture files have been saved in this special format, the catalog itself (the sqlite database named catalog.pse9db) is finally copied, then the special catalog.tly backup file in which the links between the backup copies and the real ones are kept is created at the very end of the process.

That means that the catalog (database) must be stored on the last CD/DVD with the necessary catalog.tly file for the restore. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to STS1956

STS1956 wrote:

Thanks to Michel too, although I'm afraid it's all gone a bit technical, for me.  Can you confirm that really all I need to do is use 'Restore' then feed the five discs in, starting with one and ending with disc five?  I'd be thrilled if the photos were then to reappear on my new PC, organised as I had them on my old PC.

Well, that is something I have done so many times that I no longer get thrilled about it

I understand that you may need some help to begin with. Here is a good explanation:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to STS1956

STS1956 wrote:

Hi Michel,

The link didn't work ("Page unavailable.") but I have read these instructions before in fact. I was very puzzled by the statement that the last disc should be put inserted, once in 'Restore'.  I wonder if what is meant is the disc from the last back-up or in my case, a set of five discs?  I originally read this as meaning that only the last of my five discs should be inserted, but then I'd be missing four discs full of my photos.

The link works for me...

My explanation (without testing it on DVDs or CDs) is that there is a logical order to write a backup, and that the last media is needed to make the catalog copy and the .tly file available to the restore process. Of course, all disks are necessary for the restore. Logically the restore process should prompt which disk is needed at each stage of the restore...

What I can't imagine is what happens when you are using CDs and the size of the catalog.pse9db plus catalog.tly is more than the last CD size ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points