Skip navigation
mmikho11
Currently Being Moderated

Links aren't updating to a copied folder when copying from a network.

Mar 18, 2013 9:08 AM

Tags: #missing #indesign #links #local #folder #cs6 #location #network #native #original

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue where I will copy over a packged folder from a network to my local hard drive and when I do so, the file are linking to the origonal location and not my harddrive.

The work flow goes something like this.

• I will work on a project and package it to my hard drive.
  • Then copy and paste to a shared drive between my boss and me.
  • He will copy over the packaged file to his hard drive or just open it up on the shared drive and all the links are in the links folder but all missing in the indesign file. So he will have to relink them manually when he opens them up.

This is a very annoying thing to have to go through, esspecialy when were working with a large number of links, constantly transfering and updating the folders and opperating, of course, on tight deadlines. Right now our only sollution is to work on the shared drive, but I don't need to explain why that is the worst solution to ever have.

Any thoughts and sugestions are appreciated. Thanks

-Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to mmikho11

InDesign links are always absolute addresses, and if the original location is still accessible, that's waht ID will use. If the original address in not avaialble, ID will look for links in the same folder, and any subfloders, where the .indd was opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to mmikho11

I trust Peter more often than myself, but, I believe this is a case of simply toggling the Update Graphic Links in Package.

I have placed a link which is local and available to my machine, toggled the Update option, and in this Packaged Document ID is linking to a mapped location where I saved the folder.

I believe the setting is sticky.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

I think there's a subtle difference between what you and the OP have done.

You saved the folder to an new location ans updated the links in the packaged file, so they now point to the package folder. If you do as the OP says and "copy and paste" to a new location and leave the original behind, I think you'll find the links are still pointing to the same folder where you originally saved the package, not to the pasted location.

If you CUT and paste, or otherwise remove the files from the locations where they were originally saved, ID will find them in the new location.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I see the issue frequently with packages (it is a pet peeve) and believe the answer is, as stated, to toggle the Update Links in Packaged Folder option.

I have moved (cut from original location) the test folder as the OP does and ID links to the package folder. The original location is still available, but ID, to my testing, respects the packaged link...

test - delete the package link to check if ID will look to the first, original, in-tact location...

Missing Link Dialog.JPG

In this instance, ID does not look to the original location. All my testing confirms that once Update Links in Package is choosen, ID no longer looks to the original location.

As I stated, I belive the Update Option is sticky, needs to be set only once upon which the option is the new default. I think it would be a better choice for "out of the box" installation, but I am not feeling it need to submit a Feature Request.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

OK, I don't think you quite grasped what I was saying, or I'm completley wrong about ID.

In your ID file you place an image tha is linked to Location A. That's a hard link.

You package the file, and save to Location B, and in the Package dialog you click the Update Links in Package box. The links, in the packaged copy of the file (and only that copy) are now pointing to the links folder in Location B. These are also hard links. The original file is till in Location A, but the packaged copy doesn't care about that because it has links to Location B. So far, so good, and I think we're all on the same page up to this point.

NOW, you make a copy of the packaged folder and put it in Location C. The copy of the .indd file inside the copy of the package in Location C still has links to Location B. IF the original package folder is also left in Location B, the Location C copy of  the .indd is going to use the link in Location B, not the link in Location C. The only time the links in Location C will be used is if Location B is no longer acessible.

Was that any clearer? Am I still trustworthy?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points