Skip navigation
Kamil S
Currently Being Moderated

How would I re-create this effect? (physical paper cutouts made to look animated)

Mar 18, 2013 11:52 AM

Here is a video of the effect I am trying to replicate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGvNHFRIO08

They use physical paper cut-outs (you can see the shadows and outlines in a few frames) but it almost seems animated -- the first time I watched it I thought they were green-screening the background.

How would I get rid of the outlines around the cut out pieces of paper? I'm guessing it would involve increasing the contrast of the background dramatically, but not the hands?

Just looking for ideas on how to get started. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to Kamil S

THe hands are shot green screen.

THe animations are illustrations (and animated)

THe hands and the animations are composited (using a lot of keyframes)

Thing I notice is  the very ugly hand / arm shadows.  I have done this many times and been able to avoid that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Kamil S

wow.. that exact question , using the exact same example video was asked here about a year ago...with some cool answers and solutions etc...

I have no clue how to search for it though...any help from regulars ? Remember, we talked about doing some stuff in reverse and stuff like that ???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to able123

noooooo, shooternz.... thats not it ....hehe.... gosh, i wish i could find that other thread !!!!

hehe, its deja vu all over again !

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to able123

I will add a little more to explain it.

Sequence is totally planned out before shooting eg story boarded or pre vised.

Hand is shot against green screen doing the required performances as per pre viz  but usually centre frame.

I  shoot them on glass with a degree of separation from the chroma screen.(i.e shadowless)

Animations are done in AEFX or whatever with an alpha BG

The BG is  inserted later (eg paper, tiles, wood, texture ...whatever)

The elements are composited.  eg the hand movements and the animations are made to work together via key frames.

A shadow is added to the hand via the matte.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to able123

Here you are. Catch!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

FUZZY ! I SWEAR TO GOD I KNEW IT WAS YOU !   How amazing... I remembered you contributed so much to that thing... !!!! Wow, maybe my brain isn't burnt out after all !

THANKS !

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to able123

AND LETS NOT FORGET THE original posters RESPONSE to our POUNCING on that subject.....

=======

Everyone,

I certainly did not expect such valuable replies for my original post. All the information has been very useful. I'll be starting my project in a next week or so. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes and the final product. Keep posting!

Thanks!

==========

OMG LOL ....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to shooternz

Shooternz... omg.. you gotta show me cause I dont use after fx and dont have a clue what youre talking about...sorry...ITS BEER THIRTY TOO...so keep that in mind...

But Thanks so much for explaining... it's just that I'm still laughing about Fuzzy rememebering that stuff... and it coming BACK here...hehe... is too funny...

sorry...

I know you know whats up and am with you 100%.. Im just an idiot laughing right now...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to able123

Shooternz, you know what this is like to me? Lets say we both have guitars and you play some eric clapton thing I love..and I watch what you do and hear it, and love it, and for the LIFE OF ME can't DO IT MYSELF !!!!  So I am hanging out with you ( friend ) and you show me and even go " SLOWER" with left hand to show me what you're doing with fingers on frets, etc...and I little by little follow you along and litte by little get better and better at mimicking what you are doing...but also get into it re: my timing etc...

I WOULD BE LAUGHING during this whole thing...

1) cause I love the product and wanna make it

2) cause I know you're helping me

3) cause I know I'm an idiot trying to learn something new ...

4) cause I love those who are willing to teach

5) cause they love laughter too...

Anyway, that's how I approach most everything I'm sharing with people...

unless I get ugly ...I'm working on that aspect

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to Kamil S

==========

Filming backwards is something I did not think of myself, that might work well to get the positions down perfectly, but overall I just want to make a quick-and-easy version

======

yeah, like shooternz said...plan it out first... and then light the thing like a copy camera type shot... and the exposure will blow out the white on white...as long as you "slide" things ( paper cut outs ) and dont lift them up or place down which creates shadows ).

My thought was to do it backwards... so your positions are there, and you basically take them OFF ...for composition purpose... do you voice over after you're done with that timing thing...in conjunction with your planned timing motion wise...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points