Skip navigation
razorcs
Currently Being Moderated

Creating an Advanced Search Button

Mar 18, 2013 12:31 PM

Hi, I am trying to make some different buttons for a menu in an InDesign Document that will work when exported as a PDF.  I have successfully created Next, Previous, & Print buttons.  However, our client is wanting a 'Search' or 'Find' button that people could click on in the PDF.  When clicked it will allow people viewing the PDF to enter a product number or specific word and find out where throughout the document it is found.  I know it is possible to do, as I have a PDF that someone else created and it has this function.  I am wondering Is it possible to do in InDesign, or is that something that needs to be done in Acrobat itself?  Can anyone tell me how to make this happen?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to razorcs

It must be done in Acrobat Pro.

You can create the button in InDesign, just don't give it an action. In Acrobat Pro, for the button action, choose Execute Menu Item, then select Edit > Advanced Search.

ButtonAction.jpg

Be aware that this will only work with Adobe Acrobat and Reader and probably won't work on third party PDF readers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to razorcs

Set the button up on your first page in Acrobat and get in working to your liking. Then right-click on it and choose "Duplicate." Enter the pages/page range where you want it to appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to razorcs

Hmmm...it should work. Before drawing any conclusions, be certain your broswers' Reader plugin's/add-on's are up to date.

Might also help if you give more detail with respect to "doesn't work." Do you mean the buttons don't even show up, or, are they there but not functioning?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points