Skip navigation
Kasabiian
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best graphics card to use with CS6 Production Suite?

Mar 18, 2013 5:34 PM

?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to Kasabiian

Windows or Mac?

Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840 questions/answers might help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to Kasabiian

This question is equally clear as: What is the best car to use ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

It depends on how much you want o pay? Having said that, one of the cards that Adobe has tested (see the Adobe tech specs web page) is a good place to start. I use a Quadro 4000 and it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Andrew_S

The Quadro 4000 is overpriced, outdated architecture and underperforming. For € 770 it performs about the same as a GTX 550 Ti for € 135.

A Volvo 240 is a very good car, but it is outdated, fuel consumption is lousy and underperforming as well. I would not advise that car now. Same with the Quadro 4000.

The best graphics card now is the GTX Titan, € 1000, but is overkill on anything else than a heavily overclocked i7-39xx or dual E5-2687W with 64 GB memory and at least an 8 disk raid array.

Common sense is to spend around 10 -12 % of the total system cost on a video card. See Where to spend $$$

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to Kasabiian

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to Kasabiian

2. Doesn't PPBM5 benchmark results show GTX 680 outperforming Titan?

No, because they were measured on different systems. They are not comparable. The number #1 spot may achieve around 36 seconds on the MPEG2-DVD test with a Titan, but that is pure guesswork.

Also wouldn't GTX 690 be more capable than Titan with regard to multi-GPU applications such as AE and Resolve?

For AE and Resolve, maybe, for PR no.

And would GTX 680 x2 be more cost effective than Titan x1?

For AE and Resolve, maybe, for PR, no.

3. I'll be using either i7 3370K or i7 3930K which leads me to another question: Significance of CPU verses video card in Adobe production apps?

I think you mean the i7-3770K, Titan is a waste of money on such a platform and will only empty your wallet without any performance gain.

How does an i7 3370K with Titan x1 compare to an i7 3930K with GTX 680 x1?

Much more expensive without any gain. Overkill with such a 'weak' CPU. The CPU and the whole platform is just too slow.

In other words, would it be more advantageous to spend on a card or the CPU?

Best spending it on the CPU and memory. More cores on the CPU and extra memory will gain you more.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Kasabiian

1 - if you have a (very expensive) 10-bit monitor, you need the Quaddro... otherwise, not

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Kasabiian

For CS6 I think Titan is the best solution. not for BFTB but for me is the best and speedest GFX.

My best score with PPBM5 test was reached with Premiere Pro 5.03 (123 of total score) with a gtx 680 OC , 32gb of ram and 240 Gb Force GT corsair ssd (clean system)

With 6.0 suite I had 136 (same system specs)

With Titan I have done only test with 6.0 suite.

I have a value of 123 with Titan, 64gb of ram and a new Samsung 840 pro 256 ssd (system, in this case, is not clean and I have many unusefull process running)

Titan has only  a bad price..but it is very powerfull and at this moment is not officially supported from Adobe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points