Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Filter Effect and Layer Style in the same layer vs separate layers

Mar 18, 2013 5:58 PM

I'm adjusting a photographic image and am using both a filter effect and a layer style in the same layer on a Smart Object.  I want to separate the two effects into two layers, so one layer has the filter effect (Nik) and one layer has the layer style (Color Overlay) (with the goal of merging/rasterizing the Nik filter effect with the Smart Object but keeping the layer style unmerged).  I can make two layers and move one effect without problem, but the visual result of each effect on a separate layer is quite different from having both effects in the same layer.   The Blend Mode for all my layers is Normal.  Within the Color Overlay panel, the blend mode is Linear Burn.

I don't understand why the visual result is different.  I'm not an advanced user of Photoshop, so maybe I'm missing something.  This is a trial of CS6 that I'm using.

Layer 1: a layer style and a filter effect, stacked

looks very different from....

Layer 2:  a layer style

Layer 1:  a filter effect

Replies
  • Nicole Young
    8 posts
    Nov 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to NADImages

Can you post a screen-shot so we can see exactly what you're doing?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to NADImages

If you want two separate layers, then on the duplicate layer with the Color Overlay layer style you might try different layer blending modes.

For example, below looks the same having the Color Overlay with linear burn on the second layer and changing the layers blend mode to Hue.

Untitled-3d.png

You could also put the layer in a group and apply the layer style to the group.

Untitled-4.png

(i deleted the previous post because of pilot error)

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points