Skip navigation
Wilderness08
Currently Being Moderated

Video card for Premiere Pro CS5

Mar 18, 2013 6:20 PM

I currently have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Win7, 6GB RAM and periodically get the following error and program crash when working with projects: NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected problem with display driver.

I would like to upgrade to a better video card and would appreciate a professional recommendation. I hope to stay within the $400-$500 range. Most of the recommendations I viewed on the forum appear to be out-of-date when compared to the current products listed on the NVIDIA website. Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

See this page for supported GPUs for the Mercury Playback Engine: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

Any of the GTX 600 series of cards will work.  All you have to do is add the proper name an Adobe file.  Search this forum for "hack".  Since you have only 6 GB of RAM you do not even need a $400-$500 dollar card as the higher end cards would sort of unbalance your system, you would be better off with a middle GTX card like the GTX 660 or GTX 660 Ti and upgrade your RAM with the difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

Sorry, I'm not Bill but I think he means this:

If you get a GTX 660 card and have left over in your budget, you could increase the RAM in your system with the money left over, to get even better performance too.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Wilderness08

What Bill meant was that with only 6GB of RAM (which is IMHO not enough RAM to run Premiere Pro CS5+ to most people's satisfaction), the higher-end cards would have been a near-total waste of money: The performance of both the RAM and the large, expanding pagefile will severely limit any performance benefit to the higher-end cards to the point where such cards would not be any faster than much cheaper cards. In other words, an editing system is only as fast as its weakest link (in this case, the low amount of RAM and the typically slow hard drives that are used for pagefiles). Increasing the total amount of RAM to 12GB (or better still, 24GB) would greatly reduce the need for such a huge, slow-access pagefile. Even the fastest SSDs cannot keep up with the RAM in terms of access latency and throughput.

And what causes this sluggish performance of your system is that Windows typically expands the pagefile - and with only 6GB of RAM and a relatively resource-heavy app such as Premiere Pro, this would requre a rather huge pagefile. By default, Windows sets the initial pagefile size to roughly equal to the amount of system RAM installed. What happens here is that the difference between the amount of installed RAM used by Premiere and the amount of pagefile space that the app requires is so great that it would potentially have forced the pagefile size to mushroom to well over 10GB. This greatly reduces total system performance, not just performance in Premiere. Even setting the pagefile size in Windows to an amount far greater than the installed RAM will not completely solve the problem of sluggishness since no disk is anywhere near as fast as the RAM. But if you don't use a pagefile, especially with such a low amount of RAM installed, the system will crash during an editing/rendering/encoding session with "out of memory" errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Wilderness08

Thank you Randall and Ulf.  It was late for me and I rushed off to bed without covering the subject completely, so globalization of this forum really gets answers back to users fast

Just as an example when I encoded my two camera AVCHD to MPEG2-DVD last night I saw the RAM usage go to slightly over 12 GB on this 24 GB system and of course this is with lots of Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) GPU hardware acceleration   And this system has a separate 10,000 rpm Page file disk drive.

Just to show you the variety of GPU's used by Premiere users look at our database of over 1200  Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) records from users like you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to Wilderness08

Yes you definitely need to add "GeForce GTX 660 Ti"  precisely as shown to the Adobe "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file, of course without the quote marks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to Wilderness08

>whether the hack will be necessary?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/773101 has a link to the official list

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status