Skip navigation
danielrolnik
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make video editing less laggy in PS cs6?

Mar 18, 2013 10:00 PM

Tags: #video #lag #editing #external #laggy

I'm using Photoshop CS6 to edit some video clips together, but it's super laggy. How do I make it so it's less laggy? Will putting my video files on an external harddrive work?

I'm using a MacBook Pro which is fast, but the video editor eats up my computer's speed like tiger.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to danielrolnik

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

To help others help you, please read through this article and provide any additional relevant details.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to danielrolnik

Welcome to the forum.

First, what are the full specs. of those Video files? On a Mac, you can use the utility, Media Inspector, to get the full details.

What are the specs. of your MBP, and especially the CPU speed, and number of cores? The reason for this info, is that if you have any form of the H.264 CODEC in those Video files, you will need a very fast CPU to smoothly handle them.

As for the external HDD, that will depend entirely on the connection type/speed, and then the speed of the HDD itself - you want at least 7200RPM. For connection type, you want an absolute minimum of FireWire 800 (IEEE-1394b), and USB 3.0 (not USB 2.0), or eSATA will be even better. If you do not have H.264 material, then the I/O (Input/Output) will be the biggest bottleneck - with H.264, then the CPU is the biggest bottleneck.

Let us know a bit more please, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to danielrolnik

MBP = MacBook Pro

Glad that you have solved the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to danielrolnik

danielrolnik wrote:

I found that by going into Preferences ---> Performance and boosting the memory usage to at least 5161 it solves most of my lag problem. The only caveat is that afterwards I can only run Photoshop and no other program, not even an Internet Browser to check emails.

Something is seriously wrong there. I also use a Mac with 8GB RAM and allow Ps to use up to 75% of that, and there is absolutely no problem running numerous programs simultaneously, such as Safari with dozens of tabs open plus Cinema 4D plus Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points