Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

GPU enhancements message keeps popping up and Photoshop CS4 keeps crashing.

Mar 19, 2013 3:31 PM

Tags: #error #crash #gpu #photoshop_cs4 #display_driver #video_adapter

When I start Photoshop, I get the message, "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video adapter manufacturer's website for the latest software. GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

I have updated everything but this message still pops up everytime I open Photoshop CS4. Not only that, I tried to enable the GPU enhancements via Preferences but my Photoshop keeps crashing every time I try to click or do anything.

Hope someone out there knows whats wrong! Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to rach.ljw

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

To help others help you, please read through this article and provide any additional relevant details.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to rach.ljw

Welcome to the forum.

Just for clarification, did you download and install the video driver from the mfgr's. Web site, such as nVidia, or AMD/ATI?

The reason that I ask that, is because too often, people will let their OS tell them, if they have the latest driver. That info is usually at least 6 mos. out of date - always go to the "source," plug in your card/chip and your OS, and if there is a newer driver, download and install that.

Note: there have been a few threads on problems with newer AMD/ATI drivers, so if you have one of their cards/chips, you might want to check out some of the threads on those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This thread might be useful, if you have an AMD/ATI card/chip: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1172048?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points