Skip navigation
pennyt4
Currently Being Moderated

Unify Layer Style - cannot find the tools

Mar 19, 2013 5:22 AM

Tags: #photoshop #help #fade #duplicate #layer #multiple #frames #style #cs6 #unify

Unify Layer Style - I have found the section in Adobe Help PDF, but for the life of me, I cannot find the tools within PS6 .... These are the instructions:

Unify layer properties

1.In the Animation panel (Photoshop Extended CS5) or Timeline panel (CS6), change the attribute to one frame.
2.In the Layers panel, click Unify Layer Position , Unify Layer Visibility , or Unify Layer Style  to have the changed attribute apply to all other frames in the active layer.

I have multiple photographs I would like to create a video of. I want the fade affect to be applied to each picture, but so far I have only been able to update the fade on each idividual frame. I have searched and searched all over google and cannot find specific instructions of how to duplicate the fade affect to all my frames.

I have Photoshop CS6

Please help

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 6:06 AM   in reply to pennyt4

There in the top section of the layer palette when you in a frame animation in the timeline palette. Note the options they can be hidden...............

LayersPalette.jpg

Unifying layer properties in animation frames

The unify buttons (Unify Layer Position, Unify Layer Visibility, and Unify Layer Style) in the Layers panel determine how the changes you make to attributes in the active animation frame apply to the other frames in the same layer. When a unify button is selected, that attribute is changed in all the frames in the active layer; when that button is deselected, changes apply to only the active frame.

The Propagate Frame 1 option in the Layers panel also determines how the changes you make to attributes in the first frame will apply to the other frames in the same layer. When it is selected, you can change an attribute in the first frame, and all subsequent frames in the active layer will change in relation to the first frame (and preserve the animation you have already created).

#

Unify layer properties

1. In the Animation panel (Photoshop Extended CS5) or Timeline panel (CS6), change the attribute to one frame.
    2. In the Layers panel, click Unify Layer Position , Unify Layer Visibility , or Unify Layer Style to have the changed attribute apply to all other frames in the active layer.

#

Propagate frame 1

1. In the Layers panel, select the Propagate Frame 1 option.
    2. In the Animation panel (Photoshop Extended CS5) or Timeline panel (CS6), change the attribute for the first frame.The changed attribute is applied (in relation) to all subsequent frames in a layer.
    You can also propagate frames by Shift-selecting any consecutive group of frames in the layer and changing an attribute in any of the selected frames.

#

Show or hide Unify Layers buttons

Choose Animation Options from the Layers panel menu, and then choose one of the following:
    Automatic
    Displays the unify layers buttons when the Animation panel is open. In Photoshop Extended, the Animation panel must be in frame animation mode.

Always Show
    Displays the unify layers buttons whether the Animation panel is open or closed.

Always Hide
    Hides the unify layers buttons whether the Animation panel is open or closed.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to pennyt4

The first girl I ever had a crush on name was Penny never did get a kiss from her either.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to pennyt4

Did you load your images into a Photoshop layered stack. Background only grayed out layered not grayed out.

Try menu File>Scripts>Load Files into Stack...

Layered.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to pennyt4

If you have all you images in layers and are in frame animation mode in the timeline I do not think they should be grayed out. If they are try resetting you Photoshop preferences.  I also do not think you will need then either.  Using the timeline palettes fly-out menu you should be able to have Photoshop make frames for all of your layers. Then select all the frames and set some time duration each should be displayed for.  Then convert your frame animation into a video timeline.  Then drag the layers out into the video timeline one after the other add then add the transition  you want between them. Add an audio track it you want to. When you convert to a video your layers will be in a group you need to spread out. Also the unify icon will be gone.video.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 20, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to pennyt4

pennyt4 wrote:

I have multiple photographs I would like to create a video of. I want the fade affect to be applied to each picture, but so far I have only been able to update the fade on each idividual frame. I have searched and searched all over google and cannot find specific instructions of how to duplicate the fade affect to all my frames.

Please help

Have not seen anything new from you lately.  How are you doing??

Let me see if I can help some.  If your picture collection is anything like mine. Your collections contains images that have many different pixel sizes  images and images with many different aspect ratios from wide panoramas to square to tall portraits.   Video frames all have the same size and aspect ratio....  Therefore you need to decide what size and aspect ratio frames you want your video to have and how you want to display you images in these frames. If your images have a different aspect ratio the your video frame you need make new image from them the have the same aspect ratio as your video frames.  Basicly you have two choices fit the images into you video frame size in which case your images with different aspect ratios then you video frames' aspect ratio will have borders on the sides or the top and bottom. The other choice is to crop you images so the have the same aspect ratio as your video frame.  Images that had aspect ratios that were not close the your video frame aspect ratio compositions will be greatly altered.  Often a center crop will be poor and sometimes it impossible such an aspect ratio crop have a good composition.  

As for creating a slide show video from your images with Photoshop CS6 it is easy to do either type and add an audio track by creating a frame animation that you convert to a video timeline and add a audio track.

If in addition you want to add transitions between images you will find that will greatly increase the size of your video file and will also be very time consuming to do. For each image must be positioned on the timeline and the transition added between the images.  I have not found a supplied automated way to do this. 

Perhaps a  Photoshop script could be written to do that, or a Photoshop Action could be recorded that could do one image frame and transition each time the action is played where the next layer is targeted as the actions last step. 

I do not do video so have not tried to record any action.  I have only done a few manually.  I could upload some examples and post links to them.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 20, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to pennyt4

pennyt4 wrote:

I already have some nice modern songs accompanying my pics of cheerleaders

Cheerleaders!!!!

|
    Mark as: