I have my company's catalog done through InDesign. We've done this the same way for years. I've had this file for the last 3 years and have never had an issue exporting the full catalog as a PDF. I can no longer say that.
When I try to export the individual sections, I can and have no problems at all. When I try to export the full catalog, it crashes the program. Sometimes I'll get a notification that a background process failed, but mostly it just crashes the entire program.
Here is the crash report generated by Mac OS X : http://pastebin.com/tKfEmjyb
Computer: 27" Mid 2011 iMac, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Mac OS X 10.8.2
InDesign: Version 8.0.1 (most up to date through Creative Cloud)
If any more information is needed, let me know.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...
I can post the entire packaged file for download if somebody would like to look at it. It's fairly large as we have lots of parts dimensions throughout that are handled by PDF from SolidWorks. The InDesign file is 204 MB itself.
That's a pretty big file, and size might be the problem.
Does it get smaller if you export to .idml and resave as a new .indd? see Remove minor corruption by exporting
Can you export successfully in tow halves?
I'll try exporting as .idml now.
I can't export in two halves. I even tried going as far as 3 parts, 4 parts etc... I was able to export 60 pages out of the 290 pages in the file.
The weird thing is I've never had a problem with this before now. I got to thinking about the possibility that I did an update without fixing the embedded fonts in Illustrator. I was planning on trying to open the newer PDF files that are placed in my InDesign file to make sure the fonts have been converted over to the correct one.
After troubleshooting yesterday, I was stuck thinking corrupt file as well. I was hoping it wouldn't come to opening a new file and inserting everything into that one. I'll be off in 30 minutes. I'll just let the computer run through the night to see if it ever opens it.
Oh well... If I have to make a new, uncorrupt file, I still get paid to be here 40 hours a week either way.
It actually opened my IDML but put a feather over every object. Somehow, that got switched on as the default for new objects. So, I took that off and I'm trying again.
I'll give an updated report tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
I'm about to head out the door and I'm still waiting for this thing to export a PDF from a new file that I created from the .idml file. A few minutes in, if you try scrolling, ID won't let you. It says "Out of memory."
Two things come to mind when I see this.
1.) I have 16 GB RAM...
2.) This wasn't a problem with CS5 and I've not experienced it until now. I am pretty sure I've exported the full catalog under CS6 with no problem. I know for a fact I have with CS5.
So, next step?
I think I'll open up the last few PDFs that were exported from SolidWorks to check the fonts. If that doesn't help, looks like i'll need to make a new file.
16 gigs of RAM means nothing to ID. As a 32-bit program it can only address a bit less than 4 gb. You might want to try the pieces thing again.
And I was wondering about the SolidWorks PDFs, too. Maybe running them through the PDF optimizer in Acrobat Pro would do some good.
I went back through the last few updated files to make sure I fixed the fonts, and they have been corrected. The file still crashes on export with the "out of memory" when I try to scroll while it's exporting.
I have no idea why this would work just fine before when it won't work at all now. I already have the full catalog on our website from before. I exported this same file using the same technique.
Was this file originally created in CS6, or updated from a previous version? If the latter, I think this may be one of those strange occurrences that sometimes happens from a direct update, and the reason that I now always advise updating from an exported .idml or .inx fiel from the original version, and never overwriting the original. We see probably a half dozen reports every yerar now where a user has a file that "worked before" and now won't open or won't export or some other issue after doing some editing, and the common thread seems to be direct update of legacy files.
It was directly updated from a previous version. It was actually directly updated from CS3 to CS5 to CS6. I'm pretty sure the file was created in CS3 or possibly even earlier.
What's the next step? Do I have to create a blank document and copy / paste everything?
You can check the file history on the Mac by holding down the Cmd key when you select About InDesign from The InDesign menu with a file open. Very useful.
As far as what to do now, as I mentioned, I've had great luck with exporting tagged text which will be faster than copy/paste, if you can get it to export. Try to avoid the urge to scroll during the export of each story.
You export tagged text by placing the cursor in a story, but not selecting anything (which will export the entire story, even if threaded across many pages), or by making a selection with the cursor, in which case you get only the selected text. You'll be asked if you want verbose or abbreviated format, and in my experience it makes no difference.
So, I finally got around to trying to create a new file and it may just be that our catalog is huge. I'm updating things to try to lower the number of links that are used but after getting about a third of the catalog switched over to a new, blank document, it crashed on export.
But, I found something that will work just fine.
I'll export the individual sections like I have to then use those to combine them into a single PDF file with Acrobat.
So, problem solved... Sort of...
Thanks again for your help.