Skip navigation
j.roskowske
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 crashes on large PDF export...

Mar 19, 2013 6:28 AM

Tags: #crash #indesign #cs6 #creative_cloud #pdf_export #pdf_export_crash

I have my company's catalog done through InDesign.  We've done this the same way for years.  I've had this file for the last 3 years and have never had an issue exporting the full catalog as a PDF.  I can no longer say that.

When I try to export the individual sections, I can and have no problems at all.  When I try to export the full catalog, it crashes the program.  Sometimes I'll get a notification that a background process failed, but mostly it just crashes the entire program.

Here is the crash report generated by Mac OS X : http://pastebin.com/tKfEmjyb

Computer: 27" Mid 2011 iMac, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Mac OS X 10.8.2

InDesign: Version 8.0.1 (most up to date through Creative Cloud)

If any more information is needed, let me know. 

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks...

I can post the entire packaged file for download if somebody would like to look at it.  It's fairly large as we have lots of parts dimensions throughout that are handled by PDF from SolidWorks.  The InDesign file is 204 MB itself.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to j.roskowske

That's a pretty big file, and size might be the problem.

Does it get smaller if you export to .idml and resave as a new .indd? see Remove minor corruption by exporting

Can you export successfully in tow halves?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to j.roskowske

This is starting to sound like a corrupt file....

Give the .idml file some time -- I had one once with a lot of pasted vector content that took almost two hours to open.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to j.roskowske

I've had good luck fixing corruption by exporting the stories to InDesign Tagged Text and placing them into new files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to j.roskowske

16 gigs of RAM means nothing to ID. As a 32-bit program it can only address a bit less than 4 gb. You might want to try the pieces thing again.

And I was wondering about the SolidWorks PDFs, too. Maybe running them through the PDF optimizer in Acrobat Pro would do some good.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to j.roskowske

Was this file originally created in CS6, or updated from a previous version? If the latter, I think this may be one of those strange occurrences that sometimes happens from a direct update, and the reason that I now always advise updating from an exported .idml or .inx fiel from the original version, and never overwriting the original. We see probably a half dozen reports every yerar now where a user has a file that "worked before" and now won't open or won't export or some other issue after doing some editing, and the common thread seems to be direct update of legacy files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to j.roskowske

You can check the file history on the Mac by holding down the Cmd key when you select About InDesign from The InDesign menu with a file open. Very useful.

As far as what to do now, as I mentioned, I've had great luck with exporting tagged text which will be faster than copy/paste, if you can get it to export. Try to avoid the urge to scroll during the export of each story.

You export tagged text by placing the cursor in a story, but not selecting anything (which will export the entire story, even if threaded across many pages), or by making a selection with the cursor, in which case you get only the selected text. You'll be asked if you want verbose or abbreviated format, and in my experience it makes no difference.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points