Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing fonts in PDF placed in InDesign

Mar 19, 2013 6:59 AM

Tags: #missing #fonts #pdf #indesign

I was sent a PDF to make slight changes to it. Since the changes were so minor and relatively few, I thought it would be easiest to just place the pages of the PDF into an InDesign document and put white boxes over what needs to change.

I just noticed the Preflight panel says I'm missing Arial and Times New Roman which I know I have. I tried doing "Find Font" to replace the missing Arial with my Arial, but "Change" is grayed out so I'm thinking the fonts must not be properly embedded in the PDF.

I'm not sure if they have the original document the PDF came from (and if they do, it might be in Word). Is there a way I can fix this either in InDesign or with Acrobat?

Or, if I don't fix it, do you think that the missing fonts will not print properly?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to it@caotti.net

If the changes are minor and few, as you say, I would recommend using Acrobat instead of InDesign.  The fonts should print properly as they are commonly available.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to it@caotti.net

In Find Font, do you see Arial listed in Replace With/Font Family? Is Change All grayed out too. That's the one you need to make the changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to it@caotti.net

Can you post a screenshot of your Find Font screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to it@caotti.net

You cannot change the fonts in a placed graphic from within ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to it@caotti.net

What happens when you select (click) the Arial with with he warning sign? Does it remain grayed out? If the fonts are part of the image, as Peter says, you'll have to make the changes in the original program it was generated with.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Ellis home

The screen shot shows all the missing fonts are in graphics....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

What puzzles me is that ID was able to "see" the missing fonts somewhere in the document?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Ellis home

I don't claim to know the details of how ID see the information, but the fonts used, and the graphical content, are all exposed in placed content.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's relatively easy to see the fonts used when inside a PDF file. If you have Acrobat Pro, choose File > Properties > Fonts, and you'll see a list and also see how the font is stored. InDesign can also read this information. It would need to know it so it can print or export a placed PDF file.

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can also individually edit blocks of text and change the fonts. However, there is no way to search and replace fonts like InDesign can do with the Find Font dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to it@caotti.net

You might be able to embed these fonts properly in the PDF. It isn't always successful, but in Preflight, open the fixups section and use the selection as in the screen shot. Then relink/replace the PDF in ID.

Mike

capture-000127.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to it@caotti.net

The problem is not as simple as you may think. There are many variations of the Arial (and similar) fonts and many variations in which the various producers of PDF files (Adobe and others) reference fonts from within PDF files. In order to either embed fonts after the fact or even use a host-font equivalent for non-embedded fonts, the match needs to be exact. That may be the issue here.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to it@caotti.net

As you see, it would have been easier and certainly safer to ask the customer to send you a proper PDF again, with the fonts embedded. I would encourage you to ask them to "preflight" their work before they export and before they send to other parties in the workflow.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points