I was sent a PDF to make slight changes to it. Since the changes were so minor and relatively few, I thought it would be easiest to just place the pages of the PDF into an InDesign document and put white boxes over what needs to change.
I just noticed the Preflight panel says I'm missing Arial and Times New Roman which I know I have. I tried doing "Find Font" to replace the missing Arial with my Arial, but "Change" is grayed out so I'm thinking the fonts must not be properly embedded in the PDF.
I'm not sure if they have the original document the PDF came from (and if they do, it might be in Word). Is there a way I can fix this either in InDesign or with Acrobat?
Or, if I don't fix it, do you think that the missing fonts will not print properly?
What happens when you select (click) the Arial with with he warning sign? Does it remain grayed out? If the fonts are part of the image, as Peter says, you'll have to make the changes in the original program it was generated with.
It's relatively easy to see the fonts used when inside a PDF file. If you have Acrobat Pro, choose File > Properties > Fonts, and you'll see a list and also see how the font is stored. InDesign can also read this information. It would need to know it so it can print or export a placed PDF file.
If you have Acrobat Pro, you can also individually edit blocks of text and change the fonts. However, there is no way to search and replace fonts like InDesign can do with the Find Font dialog.
Yes, they remain grayed out. The fonts are in a PDF placed in InDesign. I suspected I couldn't fix it from InDesign, but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a way I didn't know about. I also thought there might possibly be a way to fix it from Acrobat. I'm not sure they have the original document that generated the PDF.
The problem is not as simple as you may think. There are many variations of the Arial (and similar) fonts and many variations in which the various producers of PDF files (Adobe and others) reference fonts from within PDF files. In order to either embed fonts after the fact or even use a host-font equivalent for non-embedded fonts, the match needs to be exact. That may be the issue here.
As you see, it would have been easier and certainly safer to ask the customer to send you a proper PDF again, with the fonts embedded. I would encourage you to ask them to "preflight" their work before they export and before they send to other parties in the workflow.