Skip navigation
mikeeap617
Currently Being Moderated

How many sequences and peices of footage can Premiere handle?

Mar 19, 2013 8:05 AM

Tags: #import #clip #workflow #conforming_audio #indexing_files #sequnces

I am working a dance competition with about 500 dances (500 different pieces of footage) and I create a sequence for each dance, then export a 30 second clip for customers to view. I am having a problem with Premiere where it will drop a lot of the Index Files and Conformed Audio Files out of the temporary file location. Then it will re-index and re-conform all the missing ones. Is there a limit in Premiere for how many pieces of footage it can keep conformed at one time and if so is there a way to change it? I have a job coming up where I will be doing about 900 dances and I want to make sure that Premiere will be able to handle all this work. I am using a Dell Precision M4700 with an i7 quad core running at 2.70 Ghz with 8GB of ram and a Samsung 840 SSD.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to mikeeap617

Get some more memory, preferably 32 GB and a couple of extra (e)SATA 7200 RPM disks. Then it can handle it easily, at least for a laptop. Performance will never be stellar, but you should be able to manage.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to mikeeap617

I've never had that many sequences, but I've had over 1200 clips in a project without issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

There are probably "ceilings," but I have never hit one.

My largest Project had about 18 1-2 hour Sequences, and over 3000 Stills, ~ 300 MOV and AVI Clips, and perhaps 500 Titles. No issues, but that pales compared to what the OP is doing.

Maybe someone can give us limits, if they exist?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am trying to imagine 500 pieces of footage, 18 ½ hour sequences, 3000 stills, 1200 clips, etc., on my system.  If it weren’t overwhelmed, I would be.  With CS6, I can barely get through a few clips and one track.  I think CS6 gets fatigued easily, so I find that if I let her rest for awhile, she will work – for a while.

If I were to approach anything like you guys do, there would be another divorce.

Tell the truth:  are you guys exaggerating? 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to rmartin215

Not at all.  Rather it would seem that something is wrong with your system, because that 'fatigue' isn't normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to mikeeap617

Yeah, with that complexity, I can see where more RAM would help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, I'm the Dude that has a system that is basically the same as yours!

I feel about CS6 like Mark Twain felt about the railroads.

"I came by railroad. It was one of those trains that gets tired every seven minutes; has to stop and rest for three quarters of an hour.    One of the passengers advised the conductor to take the cow catcher off the front end and put it on the rear because at the rate we were going, we're not going to catch any cows; that there wasn't anything to prevent them from climbing aboard. "

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Yeah, that just isn't normal.  I can go all day without a hiccup.

I've had that much footage, but never that many stills.   Maybe you should also get more RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Unfortunately I don't think it's a  memory issue.  It's the nature of the clips: from Panasonic 130, 160, and Canon -- long spanned clips (viz., one or two hours).   The train just doesn't rest; it stops completely and falls apart.

I am wondering if they are ever going to fix this or I will just have to give up on CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Spanned clips from some cameras do have issues.  Not much you can do about that but use an older version of PP or convert the clips outside of PP.

I'm curious if you can run a test.  Start a new scratch project and bring in some spanned clips from each camera, but only from one camera at a time.  See how those work, then remove them from the project and bring in clips from the next camera.

I'm interested in which camera's media presents an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Thanks for your interest and ideas.  It would be nice if Adobe had some.

I’ve been working on an answer to your query for several days.  I think there are some ramifications (perhaps you didn’t mean them), at least some of which I’ll deal with.

First, My cameras: : Two essentially identical AG-AC Panasonics (160ap and 130ap); a Canon Vixia HFM4.  All three record to spanned mts files.  The Pana files are about 4 gb, and the Canon about 2 gb.  I also have a Kodak Flip camera, Z18, which records continuously to MOV files.   I pointed all four to a TV set for about an hour, (hoping that I had selected the TV show that would least offend the cameras – I have trained them to have pretty good taste).

Following your suggestion, of one camea at a time, the Panasonic files fated the worse in Premiere 6, and are essentially unworkable.  Scrolling was always bad; once in a while they would play OK. The Cannon files fared better, but still scrolled poorly, stuttered, etc. 

The Kodak files played flawlessly.  If Kodak had upgraded this camera, they might not have gone bankrupt; it really is quite amazing.

CS5 works fine, so why don’t I just give up on 6 (and maybe get my money back?).  Adobe admits a problem, says there is no fix at the present, but for almost a year seems to have done nothing.  As you know from the forums, I am not the only one complaining!

Send a bug-feature report. I did.  No response.  If it were to ever work, what would premiere CS6 offer that CS5 (or other software) does not?  Premiere is my major focus.

Thanks again for your interest.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to rmartin215

That's surprising about the Panasonic media.  My own GH2 doesn't have the issue, and I thought I read where other Panny models don't either.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd love to see how either the 130 or 160 clips perform on my own system.  Zip up the PRIVATE folder.  If it's smaller then 10GB, you can upload here:

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 10:08 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I am sending you a 17g file from the panasonic 160 to see  how it works on your system.  I hope it's my system and not a CS6 fatal error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Thanks.  Downloading now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Still not working.  The download 'finishes', but it's still not the complete file and it won't open.

I've been a fan of Dropbox, but I'm getting frustrated at them on this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

After I compress and upload into dropbox, I get:

"PRIVATE.zip      archive   zip"

After  extracting and downloading, I get:

"PRIVATE                     .... File folder ...:"

After loading Private/AVCHD... via media brwser, I get the appropriate result

Capture.PNG

[link removed for privacy]

It takes me back to the "PRIVATE.zip....."

Does this make sense? I did notice that in the PM, their were two stages after click on link, the

last one as above, i.e, the PRIVATE.zip..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Sorry, man.  It's just not working.  Four attempts have seen the download stop before it competes.  Don't know why, but Dropbox has officially pissed me off.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Me too.  But thanks for your effort.  I'll complain, but doubt that anything will come of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to rmartin215

You might be able to get some satisfaction.  With an account that large, I assume you pay for it.  What use is paying for their service if the people you send files to can't get them?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Presumably they are going to try and download it themselves.  We'll see.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to rmartin215

I prefer using Firefox for everything web related, but as Internet Explorer is installed, I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens.

The download was again inexplicably interrupted before completion, however IE did something Firefox did not.  It told me the download was interrupted and offered an option to Resume.  I hit that and it seemed to pick up again.

We'll see if I can get the whole thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

No luck.  After 3 or 4 Resumes, the file came in as completed, but it clearly wasn't, and would not unzip.

Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim:  thanks again for your efforts. Here are the replies I have gotten so far from the DropBox Forum.

"I am downloading now. I will let you know when finished.  BTW, is it possible that it stops sync because one's account doesn't have the quota for it. Did they choose to download to their Dropbox instead of just download?"

"17GB?  Quite a few browsers will die on that download, as some of them have hard file size limits."

As might be expected, it all works when downloading to my email addresses.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to rmartin215

How about if we try this?  I have two more video clips, the 130 and 160 filming the same thing, both about 11 gb. When one of the clips is put on a track, things seem to be working.  The trouble starts when there is the 130 on one and 160 on the other. I'll zip them, dropbox, them and send  the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Give it a go.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to rmartin215

I need to edit an old post, or delete it. Is that possible?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to rmartin215

One someone replies, no.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to rmartin215

If you are a Creative Cloud subscriber, we get 20GB of online storage.  I wonder if that might work better than Dropbox.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to rmartin215

Send a PM (Private Message) to Jeff Bellune, one of the MOD's here, and explain what needs to be edited.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points