Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 496 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

'Suspicious Cloud' threat found by Norton Antivirus

Mar 19, 2013 9:16 AM

Tags: #virus #dreamweaver_cs6 #threat

I did a scan of my system this morning and this threat was detected. Appears to be associated with DreamweaverSuspicious Cloud 2.jpgSuspicious Cloud.jpgI just wanted to give a heads up

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Thanks Alex.

We'll look into this file with DW support. 

I'll get back to you when I get more details. 

Kind regards,

-Sidney

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to Sidney Mitchell

Alex, it's not just affecting DW, it's for Extension Manager in general.  Other users have been reporting it on other forums as well.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5162794?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

People actually use Symantek products?

I thought they lost their way many years ago…

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

People actually use Symantek products?

I thought they lost their way many years ago…

You make it sound like the company went out of business and stopped all support or something.

Norton is still ranked within 1st - 3rd among available antivirus programs out there, by just about anyone who ranks such things.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Back in the dark ages, about 4 years ago I worked on the Avid DS and made a lot of television. It ran on Windows XP and, later, Windows XP-64 (it now runs on Windows 7).

The installation of anything from Symantek immediately caused the application to fail. Drive arrays would suddenly have errors. Boot drives became unstable. Nothing from that company worked—including Ghost, which had been a very popular tool for imaging one's last-known-good boot drive. There were a whole array of tools from other companies that worked great, nothing from Symantek did.

I assumed that the rest of the world would learn just how bad they were. I guess not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to mhollis55

I gave up on Norton and McAfee several years ago. IMO they created more problems than they solved.

In stark contrast, Microsoft's Security Essentials (free) has been excellent.  I scan my entire system regularly and it has not detected any viruses in either Cloud or Extension Manager.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

The problem with MSE is that it regularly flunks respected security tests so you don't know what it's missing. A clean bill of health from MSE can give you a false sense of security.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/307816-microsoft-secu rity-essentials-tanks-another-antivirus-test

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to John Waller

My Commodore-64 has never had a virus!

(not serious)

In this day and age, you have to take threats seriously. I have one client whose web stats report that most of his visitors are from China. He's a local dentist. There is no information on his website that would be useful for a Chinese person that I can figure. Maybe they're trying to import his (better than Beijing) air quality over the Internet, but I don't think that will work.

I do not advise anyone to purchase a Lenovo computer. I don't recommend anyone buy "custom software" from China. And I do recommend that everyone try to maintain a secure system. My production system is a Mac Pro 4,1 dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon (Nehalem) running at 2.93GHz. I run OS X 10.6.8 and I sweep my system once weekly for malware using ClamXav. Last bit of malware I had was about a month ago. It was targeted to a Windows system but I don't want to infect another computer that might share files with me, so I deleted it from my system.

My computer is very stable, my Dreamweaver installation works great and I live in Photoshop, Dreamweaver and three web browsers.

I think Microsoft needs to release IE for Mac if they want my support as a webmaster.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points