Skip navigation
mtn.guy
Currently Being Moderated

Opening RAW files in CS5

Mar 19, 2013 9:12 AM

Tags: #cs5 #raw #plug-in

CS5 won't open RAW (NEF) files from camera on list (Nikon D3000).  My updates are current.  What next?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

With a D3000 you only need ACR 5.5 so with CS5 you should have ACR 6.7 and be fine. 

Most problems with raw are from having ACR in wrong folder or having more than one file in folder.

What OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

Raw files, like NEF, need an interpreter which in this case is Adobe Camera Raw.  So if you do not have at least ACR 5.5 you will not be able to open them.  In PS click Help/About Plugins/camera raw.  See what version it lists.

Don't know if Acrobat Professional links to ACR or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

Go here  Program Files/COMMON Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CSx/File Formats, which gives you Camera Raw.8bi

There should be only one file here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

OK to back up, did this work before?  If so reset preferences.  Start PS and immediately hold down ctrl alt shift keys.  If fast enough will get a reset window.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

It is best if you use a card reader to import images to Bridge, less chance of errors.  Can make, or choose folder and date format of choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to mtn.guy

Must be something I am missing.  If it is really a D3000, and not a D3200 it should work just fine on ACR 6.7.  Here is list of cameras and ACR needed  http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

It is troubling me that camera raw files shot with another camera work.  If this is a "new" camera it is used as the model is several years old.  Perhaps it is not working properly?  Would recheck the settings, make sure date and time are correct, and shoot some test shots.  RAW, RAW + jpeg, and see if any images can be opened.  Do you have a friend with PS so you can see if  images will open on his computer?

Right click on a jpeg and choose to open in ACR to see if ACR working correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to mtn.guy

If is is a D3200 you either have to update to CS6 so you can use ACR 7.x or download the DNG plugin.  Then convert the NEF to DNG.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to mtn.guy

Yes, that is what I said above, "If is is a D3200 you either have to update to CS6 so you can use ACR 7.x or download the DNG plugin.  Then convert the NEF to DNG."

Took a lot of time to get here, hope comments have been helpful to see how ACR really is set up in PS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to mtn.guy

Mtn.guy, congratulations.  May I suggest you exercise the "Mark as Helpful" and "Mark as Correct" features so the thread will be more helpful to others in the future.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points