Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any chance Adobe will have their own VDP export file?

Mar 19, 2013 9:44 AM

Just curious if adobe plans to explore the wold of Data Merge to the extent of creating a file type that acts as the VPS does. It is so nice to have data merge and avoid using a plug in that requires a fee and keeping their support. This community outweighs any support I have seen so far while working with adobe products not to mention the support I have available by being a Cloud customer. So far it does everything I need, except allow the user to create a file that RIPs fast at the printer controller for digital printing. In the past I had to purchase a plugin called XmPie for CS2. It worked well. It allowed for a file type called VPS which made rip times soooooo much faster than say a PDF. It does not work with newer versions of InDesign. I am now on the Creative Cloud and in need of XmPie like utilities but wanting to avoid the cost of any issues with updates in the future while on the Cloud.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to JITLLC

There are legal restrictions that prevent Adobe from telling you what they might or might not be planning. If I were you I'd file an official feature request at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form, then keep my fingers crossed that it will make it into a future version (certainly not before version CS8, and probably not then unless there are a lot more like you).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to JITLLC

You certainly would never get anything like VPS, but rather, a format such as PDF/VT-1 that supports InDesign's full imaging model.

If you like to see InDesign directly output PDF/VT-1 via data merge, you should make that wish known directly to the InDesign product team at Adobe.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points