Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Viewing PSD thumbnails...

Mar 19, 2013 3:10 PM

Hi,

So sick of not being able to view PSD thumbnails, not even from the regular "OPEN FILE" dialog in Photoshop CS6.

Besides 3rd party commercial software like Mystic Thumbs, what solutions are out there for me?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to jyeager11

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with commercial software when it's GOOD.

I happen to like the FastPictureViewer codec pack, myself.  Not only does it provide thumbnails but previews as well (i.e., it fully integrates into Explorer).  They even make an attempt at compositing multi-layer PSD files that aren't saved with Max Compatibility.

Not only can you see into .PSD files, but also raw files and pretty much every other imge type.  Plus the fact that it's commercial, supported software means that your next new camera's raw files will be supported too, when it comes out.

Thumbs.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Figure this one out. The psd and tiff file with a thumnail are back in 2005 the ones without are newer. My guess is the problem is not with microsoft after all, its the header of the file thats broken. According to this attachment, the thumbnail is not being saved in the header any more. BTW I am using windows 7 pro.

psd thumbnail.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

This displays the same in both photoshop CS6 open dialog box and windows explorer and I did not add any codec.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Nothing about the thumbnails is generated or influenced directly by Photoshop in a Windows system.  There is no activity by Photoshop - no "saving a thumbnail in the header" - that has any bearing on Windows thumbnails.  They are generated purely by Explorer asking a codec to open the file and look around inside.  Explorer then may cache the result.

It's possible whatever codec you're using is only able to see into files saved with Maximize Compatibility turned on.  That setting causes a merged composite image to be saved in the PSD file. 

If you turn off Maximize Compatibility, it may STILL be that you have saved a file with a single Background layer, in which case many codecs will still generate an image, because they can understand the simple PSD file.

But in the case of a multi-layer document in a PSD file, your codec may not even attempt to composite the layers.  That's one thing I like about the FPV pack - they DO make an attempt to composite the layers, and frankly it's usually a pretty good result.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hmm, interesting, I assumed photoshop saved a thumbnail in the header because it states so in the preferences. Must be some other app added the codec, because I didn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Another vote for FPV codec. I wish I had known about it earlier. Get it, install it and get on with your work. It's only $14.95 now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to gener7

+1 for FPV Codec.  Works well and shows Corel Painter riff thumbnails too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 20, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Silkrooster wrote:

Must be some other app added the codec, because I didn't.

Is it an old system?  At one time, a loooong time ago, Adobe supplied a codec but that hasn't been around for a long time.

But if you want to check, what you can do is run the free Autoruns tool from Microsoft SysInternals.  Run Autoruns, and look in the Codecs section.  There, in a a couple of sections labeled "...\Instance" you will see all the codecs you have installed.

Example:

PSDCodec..png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 20, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to jyeager11

Sometimes it's horses for courses.  Adobe was never able to make their codec work as well as FPV's does.

Honestly I don't know why they don't offer the 3rd party companies some $$$ to buy their intellectual property or even just license it.  Being able to make the computer more pictoral (by displaying thumbnails and previews for virtually all file types) IS something that provides a lot of value.

Putting my businessman's hat on...

If a codec pack were to cost Adobe, say, $10 a copy, and assuming a Photoshop perpetual license upgrade costs $200 (round numbers), Adobe would have to see, what, 5% more sales to cover that cost, right?  Would one in twenty more people buy Photoshop if it provided this functionality?  Would existing customers be 5% more happy (and thus reduce support cost)?

Before you answer that 5% seems like kind of a big number, consider the very long threads here, at Photoshop.com, and other places where people have complained about the loss of thumbnail previews in the File - Open dialog box.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 20, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to jyeager11

Think of it not so much as having to pay for something that Adobe once provided as gaining the ability to see thumbnails and previews for Raw files, which Adobe never provided (except in Bridge - I guess I'm not alone in not wanting to run Bridge).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Looks like a cool app. To bad Microsft decided to make it harder to find the codecs. Anyway, the system is Approx. a year old. Its possible another app installed the codec with it.

OK, downloaded and ran it. The only thing I can think of which I totally forgot about was the Canon Raw codec. Other than that just Microsoft is listed.

Ah, jeesh I overlooked it, the psd codec is from Microft apparently it came on my system. It's dated 2010 which would explain why 2012 files don't display, but the 2007 should have. Must be behind a version when they created it.

Anyway, here is the screen grabs...

codec1.png

codec2.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 21, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

That's interesting.  Now you mention it, I think Microsoft made a codec for PSD that came as part of a package (I forget the name); perhaps your PC maker included that package.

If you save a PSD file right now with Maximize Compatibility set, do you see a thumbnail?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:12 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No tried it. but Im having other issues, if you recall, I was getting the blue screen that I thought was the video card driver. Come to find out it was the new virtual wifi port that Microsoft sneekedly added to my system. Making sure its disabled stops the blue-screen. But now I think I have hard drive issues, I am finding 32 bit drivers missing. BTW thanks for the head up on that app, that really helped point me in the somewhat right direction on figuring out my lock ups. But each time I think I have an CS6 app open at the time, I can't recall for each time, but it is close.

So a virus, a bad sector or and adobe bug. Take your pick and spin the wheel, wheeee....

Anyway, I am taking time away from the OP, so Next week I may start a new thread depending on what I find out. Man I am glad I have backup drives. What worries me though, is what got backed up what files maybe corrupted or missing. Ouch.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to jyeager11

I also feel like Adobe kind of is trying to sweep this one under the rug and hope no one notices. I mean I just realized today that the latest version of Illustrator has a preview window when you click on a AI file in the open dialog, why can't photoshop? It makes me think the excuses that it's the OS creator's fault that have been previously levied don't carry that much weight.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to jyeager11

Add to the mix that OSX has had native GOOD support for psd previews forever and this is a bag of frustration. I do think it is Adobe's responsibility to provide OS support for their proprietary file formats. And no, that god-awful pretend file browser does nothing to bridge (see what im doing here?) the gap - makes one more angry than just not having previews at all. It is not that $14.95 is a lot of money but that the principle of it is just wrong. Adobe isn't one guy programming something in his garage, so little room for excuse.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to amparose

This is so frustrating. I don't know about codec and what not. I do object to paying out more money to a 3rd party when this should be basic. I use Paintshop Pro X4 and there is no problem whatsoever viewing it's thumbnails when browsing. And that can be with as much work and layers, masks or whatever on it as any Photoshop file. BUT it costs a quarter of the price. In fact Paintshop pro beats photoshop in so many other areas.

It's annoying considering the price difference.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points