Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 (Trial) question

Mar 19, 2013 4:21 PM

Hello

What might be the reason why Premiere Elements 11 (Trial) will not open up when I double-click on its desktop icon?

I have successfully installed it today - but not used it - and I can see it in the Control Panel and there is a folder for it under Adobe in my Windows 7 Program Files folder on my C drive.

Thanks

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Let's step back just a bit, I would first look over this article, which is a general Adobe installation checklist: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063309#4063309

If there is nothing out of order in your installation, next look at your video card's driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site, plug in your card and your OS, and see what the latest driver is. Check the installed video driver, and if it's not the latest, download and install.

If that does not help, do you have any VST's, usually associated with audio-editing software?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to SteveH59

First, a VST is a Virtual Studio Technology plug-in. PrE can use some, but certainly not all. If one has any audio-editing programs, and especially if they have added any extra VST's, there can be issues.

However, since turning off anti-whatever programs, has not helped, I would next check on the video driver:

1. What make and model of video card/chip do you have?
    2. What is the number and date of your installed video driver? Is that the latest one? Do not trust your OS, or any utility to tell you - check with the mfgr's. Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:51 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

Unfortunately, Intel makes great chips, but they are at the very bottom of the barrel, regarding video drivers. With programs like PrE, the video driver is very important, and that is why many recommend nVidia, or AMD/ATI video cards/chips - because they issue updated drivers about once per month.

I am not saying that the issue is with the video driver, but that is at the very top of the list of "usual suspects."

Do you have a laptop, or a desktop?

Maybe others will have options for you, that are useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to SteveH59

You are correct. The only way to test that would be to install an nVidia, or AMD/ATI card, disable the Intel embedded chip, and install the latest driver from the mfgr's. Web site - then test.

For general computing, the video card/chip and its driver, are less important, and e-mail clients, word processors, spreadsheet programs, and Web browsers usually work just fine. However, with programs like PrE, 3D creation programs and extreme games, rely very heavily on the interface with the video driver. PrE needs that, just for running its GUI (Graphical User Interface). It is programs, in that latter group, that tax the video driver very heavily.

I would start with this FAQ Entry (if I have posted this link upthread, I apologize): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0 It starts with a general checklist on getting things set up and running for PrE. Then, it goes into some tips on tuning up one's computer and OS. Finally, it lists many troubleshooting tips, and links to some tools to help in that process, going from easy to harder. If you find, that after that article, things still do not work properly, that will narrow the focus to the video driver, with pretty high probability - though only the test outlined above, could verify that.

Though I have had Intel CPU's, since the first PC hit my desk in the 80's, I would not rely on one of their GPU chips, due to the lack of driver support, and always recommend that one go with an nVidia, or AMD/ATI chip set, instead. Going back some years, I was a fan of the Matrox video cards, especially on my graphic design computers. However, like Intel, Matrox was deficient in their driver support, so I finally dropped them for nVidia.

Even then, there can be developmental dead ends. My current laptop is about 5 years old, and has an nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX. I am still running XP-Pro SP-3 on it, and nVidia has not done a new driver for that chip and that OS, since mid-2012. All of my other Adobe programs run fine on it, except for PrE 11, which has some display issues. It's nothing that I cannot live with, especially as I have a new laptop on order. Still, and even with an nVidia chip, the driver support for it, with my older OS, has run its course. I, who always urge people to update their video drivers, am now out of luck - no new driver for that chip and OS - dead end.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to SteveH59

>without buyinh a new video card.

>Device Manager it says Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset.

Actually, my GUESS is that you do not have a video card at all, you have a video chip on the motherboard

Does the cable to your monitor connect to a video output in a SLOT on the back of your computer, or on a built in connection direct to the motherboard?

If direct to the motherboard, you might try a real video card... for PreElements, an inexpensive ATI card will do

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882 works very well for my wife... but do verify that your motherboard has the right kind of slot for the card

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

That IS a very good price! I would have guessed that one would need to spend about 3x that. Thanks for posting the link, and if you have it up and running on your wife's computer, then it should be just fine. I am gobsmacked - US$ 30!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Wait a minute... you started this by saying the program will not open... now you say that version 9 works

That still SEEMS like a graphics card driver problem... adding a Firewire card is not going to make version 11 run, since it has nothing to do with the display monitor

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to SteveH59

PrE 11 is a step up from PrE 9, with its new, streamlined GUI. My guess would be that PrE 11 needs an even tighter interface with the video driver. On that older laptop, with the nVidia 8800M and the last driver from nVidia for XP-Pro, PrE 4.0 (and Premiere Pro through CS 4) runs just fine. Same for Photoshop and After Effects. However, my PrE 11 installation has some display issues, mainly in the Program Monitor (not a playback issue, but a display issue).

Each version of PrE has needed just a bit more, in the way of resources, to provide more power. I think that PrE 11 requires even more, than PrE 10, but have not seen a benchmark - just my gut reaction from running PrE 11 on that laptop.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to SteveH59

What Adobe puts on the SALES page for requirements is controlled by the marketing staff, not the technical staff (this has been discussed several times over in the Pro forum)

For EFFECTIVE video editing you need "somewhat" more of a computer than what Adobe lists

As Hunt says, that is also true of the graphics adapter... be that card or motherboard chip

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points