Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Way to see which files are, and which aren't, used in an Adobe project?

Mar 19, 2013 3:37 PM

Whether in Bridge, or elsewhere, is it possible to view which files are used/referenced in an adobe application on your system?

For some "lower-stakes" projects, I'd like to delete all the media files I didn't end up using.   Manually searching isn't usually practical once it involves numerous comps, project files, pre-renders/intermediates, etc. 

This would be extremely helpful for video projects in particular.  100s of gigs of unused takes, that could be deleted.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to 5O\'ClockCharlie

Just speaking off the top of my head I don't see how an application would know if you used a clip/image or not unless you tagged it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to 5O\'ClockCharlie

5O\'ClockCharlie wrote:

For some "lower-stakes" projects, I'd like to delete all the media files I didn't end up using.   Manually searching isn't usually practical once it involves numerous comps, project files, pre-renders/intermediates, etc. This would be extremely helpful for video projects in particular.  100s of gigs of unused takes, that could be deleted.

Files don't know which application has used them, but some Adobe applications let you manage their projects and slim them down. For example, using the Package feature in InDesign collects just the files and fonts actually used in a document so that you can throw out anything that was left behind because it was unused. If you've been doing your video projects in Premiere Pro, you should be choosing Project > Project Manager to do something similar. It has options like Exclude Unused Clips and can trim down the clips you did use so that if you captured 10 minutes but only used 1 minute, it can delete the other 9 minutes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to 5O\'ClockCharlie

For instance, supposedly if you move files around on your HDD via bridge rather explorer,  then  Pr, Ae, etc. will know where those files were moved to (thought I don't know if this is a reliable feature).  Not much of a leap to assume the other Adobe apps on a machine could tell Bridge when they have imported a file.  Then we could identify all the unimported files and delete or archive as appropriate.

The purpose of Bridge should be a connection between the different applications, a centre where it all can be stored and found. And yes, ideally Mini Bridge should be a panel in all those apps for a quick glance or search and also placing files for projects you have prepared in Bridge itself, but sadly enough with MB we still are far from that 'utopia' ideal.

I also don't know how it would be possible to recognize what apps have used files or part of files. However, If you do see Bridge as the central place of the suite and use the folder structure panel to organize the files you can have a very easy workflow with clear oversight, easy to create new folders and adding stars or labels to sort for done or to do etc and use the tools menu to directly connect with the different Suite Apps you can have a lot of fun with Bridge (at least that is the case for me :-0 )

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points