Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a checkered tablecloth pattern

Mar 19, 2013 7:49 PM

Hi,

I'd like to create a pattern so that I can fill a large rectangle with it and have it look like a checkered tablecloth.

I've attached an image of the idea of the pattern, as well the pattern I created and the result, which did not come out the way I wanted. How do I get it to be seamless (repeated with no break)?

Thanks!

tablecloth.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to graph22

Try the transform command to setting up an array. As for making it seamless, make sure the top and bottom are the same and the left and right side are the same, if you are creating a pattern that will be tiled by another app then the size of the image doesn't need to be very large, in fact what you show above can work.just get rid of that light border.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:07 PM   in reply to graph22

Illustrator doesn't really use the term "array" but in general terms it is a tool that can create a grid of rows and or columns or in the case of a radial array is a pattern that make a circle. The tool aligns and duplicates the object to create the two types of arrays.

Sorry if it confused you any, its just a term I am use to using due to other apps.

The border is only necessary if you want to see the border repeating. Its up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

For a seamless pattern, you've got the pattern tile set up incorrectly. You only need to create one corner of the pattern to tile it properly.

Snap_001.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Yep, Scotts right, the way graph22 had it, the squares would be doubled. I should have caught that sorry...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to graph22

See the Tile artwork?

I created the Tile, dreagged it to the Swatch Panel. Then used that swatch as a fill for any shape.

You do not need any Brush for this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points