Skip navigation
Anjalena
Currently Being Moderated

Objects, Paths, Guides hidden until Mouse over

Mar 19, 2013 8:53 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #issue #paths #hidden #disappear #guides #mouse_over

I'm new to using Illustrator. I have version CS6. I'm going through the Lynda.com Illustrator CS6 Essentials tutorials and watching the Chapter 2, Video 5: Using rulers, guides, and grids.

The document we're looking at for this video is supposed to have Guides showing already. I can see them in the video. But in my Illustrator, they're not there. I made sure that guides are turned on and that they're not locked. I can add guides and move them. HOWEVER, when I move my mouse away from the guide that I placed there, it disappears until I mouse over it again. But the guides that are supposed to be in this file are still not showing up, even if I mouse over where they should be.

I was also playing with one of the flowers in the file and I ungrouped all the parts of the flower.... and the flower parts/paths disappeared. But each part will show up if I mouse over them individually until I move my mouse cursor away again.

What the heck is going on? I've obviously got a setting that's wrong somewhere but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to Anjalena

Have you accidentially hit the toggle for Show/Hide Edges which is Cmd(Ctrl)-H?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Anjalena

Anjalena,

You may move down the list here; 4) is reversible:

You may try the following (you may have tried/done some of them already) and see whether it helps:

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (irreversible);

4) Move the folder with Illy closed (reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool, and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Anjalena

You are welcome, Anjalena.

I hope you will tell us your findings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Anjalena

Did you also install all the updates for CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to Anjalena

The document we're looking at for this video is supposed to have Guides showing already.

The file is one supplied by Lynda.com, right? This is a commercial training product, right? Have you contatcted them? Does Lynda.com not provide support for its own training products?

I mean, here you are, encountering an apparent inconsistency between a subject file and the lesson instructions that are supposed to correspond to it; you've jumped through ridiculous hoops reinstalling software (which is never a trivial matter with Adobe applications) and you're having to resort to a user-to-user forum that has nothing to do with Lynda.com in hopes of a solution?

Questions about specific Lynda.com tutorials frequently appear in this forum. Seems to me Lynda.com ought to be the one to ask about its files. Just because a file is provided by some seller of training lessons is no guarantee that the file is built correctly or that it actually corresponds to what is being described in the training lesson content. Do they not provide a contact avenue for support?

I can see them in the video. But in my Illustrator, they're not there. I made sure that guides are turned on and that they're not locked.

Did you switch to Outline view (View>Outline) to see if the guides are, in fact, there? Do that. If the "guides" show up, select one, then find it in the Layers palette and see what kind of object it is (<Path> or <Guide>).

In this file, while poking around with menu selections in your attempts to figure out what is going on, are you sure you didn't ever accidently select View>Guides>Release? You said you have Guides unlocked. That means they can be selected, so accidently releasing them would be easy. A released guide becomes just an ordinary path, but one with no stroke and no fill. If SmartGuides is on, and the SmartGuides preference for Object Highlighting is turned on, then the unpainted paths will highlight when you mouse over them, much as you describe.

Generally, you should work with Guides locked, and only unlock them when you specifically need to move or delete fewer than all of them. You can create for yourself all kinds of grief if you are constantly selecting Guides while you work.

Also, understand that Guides can occur on any Layer. So turning off the visibility of a Layer also turns off visiblility of any Guides on that Layer.

I was also playing with one of the flowers in the file and I ungrouped all the parts of the flower.... and the flower parts/paths disappeared. But each part will show up if I mouse over them individually until I move my mouse cursor away again.

That could happen if Appearances (Strokes, Fills, Effects) are applied to the Group, but not to the individual paths within the Group. Before ungrouping them, look at the Appearance palette. When you Ungroup it, see if the Strokes, Fills, Effects disappear from the list of Appearances, leaving you with so-called "unpainted" paths.

I don't know didly about Lynda.com. But if I had bought and paid for a training lesson which provided me a video that I am supposed to follow step-by-step, along with a file that is supposed to correspond to that video--and then immediately upon opening that file and before making any modifications to it noticed inconsistencies with what I am seeing in the video-- then I would email the seller and ask them to explain the discrepancy.

The problem with all such tutorial things is that the author has no idea whatsoever as to the actual software familiarity of the buyer/student. That is one reason why I always strongly advise beginners to simply read and work through the official software documentation BEFORE pursuing any third-party tutorials or instruction.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Anjalena

about your video,

the reason you're unable to drag new guides to your document is because the active layer (Grid) is hidden, to create new guides, either target (select) a visible layer (to where something can be drawn) and try again dragging, or unhide the active layer (Grid) and try again dragging a new guide.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points