Skip navigation
Josielee3181
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader 11 won't stay open

Mar 19, 2013 8:02 PM

I am on an Asus N series computer. I put on the Adobe Reader on my computer because I like it better then what was installed. Everytime I open the program, it loads and then disappears. I can't get it to stay open to use it. I am using Windows 7 home Premium x64. Please tell me how to get this program to work? I have installed and uninstalled this to try to get it to work.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Josielee3181

Can you open Adobe Reader by itself?  If so, try to disable Protected Mode (Edit | Preferences | Security (Advanced)).

If not, you may need to change the setting in the registry; do you know how to use regedit?

The value that needs to be changed is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\privileged\bProtectedMode from 1 to 0.

Be sure you make a registry backup or System Restore Point before editing the registry.  If you are unsure how to proceed, I can make a little procedure for you to change that value.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to Josielee3181

I actually already have that little procedure (.reg file); see attachment.

Download the attachment to your disk, then double click on the protected.reg file.  I still recommend to create a System Restore Point before proceeding.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to Josielee3181

P.S. the file got compressed into a ZIP file during the upload; you will have to unzip it before double-clicking the extracted .reg file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points