Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

easy ? could not figure this one

Mar 19, 2013 7:49 PM

I bought an AE template stretched it from the 5 seconds it is to the 16 seconds I needed Well first I stretched to 13 sec played around with it and then to 16 sec.

Now the Final Renders are not stretched to import into Prem Pro..

So I import the Scene file instead.

Funny thing here. I timed the text with the beats of the music, looks good in text edit area, then click over to view in the Scene tab and the music is stretched and not at the same speed.

So I removed music figuring the stretch messed with it. Added a new Mp3 track (Same tune) to the Scene (Drag and drop) same deal. The tempo is slowed down. In Scene tab but good in

the Text tab/editor

Text and Mp3 look, and are timed right..Under text edit tab, then I pop over to scene tab to see the whole compilation out of time?

I removed the Mp3 and then imported into Prem Pro figuring I could just add the Mp3 there, as there is an overlap or transition for my movie and the title anyways....

Yet, the exported scene is still outta wack or not in sync with music. After adding the music I timed it to in AE.... The Text edit area and the Mp3 in AE are previewing as in sync but

not in the Scene tab of AE nor in Prem Pro's timeline.

Another ? is the Final Renders that come with an AE template 720 or 1080 are those just rendered scene files re-imported into AE? Funny how when I make an adjustment to the text it shows the changes in the rendered 720 and 1080 file it came with although the 1080 file dropped the extra 3 seconds I added to the time line I ultimately needed as I had originally stretched it only to 13 sec but found 16 fit better. I tried to Render and re-import but got an error so I skipped that and then went on to just use the scene file in PP...

Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Do it the old-fashioned way:  use the AE Render Queue.  And don't rxpect miracles from mp3 files.  Tey're good enough to time out effects to audio, but I wouldn't include an audio track if I were rendering.  Mp3s and AE don't play very nicely together.  I hope you have that audio elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

More helpful would be a shot of the template with all layers and all keyframes exposed. Just select all layers in the template and press u.

If you want to simply nest your template in another comp don't use time stretch. Set the comp settings to 16 seconds then click on the nested comp and select Layer>Time>enable time remapping and drag the last keyframe generated to the end of the time line. Now things should be the right length. I can't guarantee however that the animation will be smooth because I don't know what's in the template comp.

On your timeline showing 1080, that's only the name of the active composition. There's no way of telling what the comp settings are unless you show us the comp settings or select the comp in the Project Panel so we can see the comp info.

If I were going to use a template for a project I would follow these steps:

1. Open the template and immideatly save the project under a different name.
    2. Open up the comps and the pre-comps and check the comp settings using Cmnd/Ctrl + k
    3. Adjust the duration of the comps to suit my requirements.
    4. Make sure the comp size matches my output requirements. If not use File>Scripts>Scale Composition to change the comp size to my project specifications. (total time so far is about 5 minutes)
    5. Start with the Final or Main comp, with all layers or none of the layers selected press the U key to reveal all keyframes.
    6. With the keyframes visible start at the bottom right corner of the timeline and marquis select all visible keyframes in the composition. They all should be yellow.
    7. I'd then select the last keyframe in the stack and hold down the Alt/Option key and drag the farthest right keyframe to the new end point for the animation. This will uniformly scale the timing of all the animation. If the layers do not extend to the last keyframe then I'd go to the last keyframe for each layer and set a new out point.
    8. Repeat the process for the pre-comps. and run a quick 1/4 rez or less ram preview to check timing.
    9. If everything is OK I've now spent 10, maybe 15 minutes on the project. If there are problems I'd look for them and fix them. I've never seen a template that was so complex that other change timing problems couldn't be fixed with a click or two.
    10. Now, and only now, would I replace the place holders with my footage and type, make the color adjustments, and finalize the project for render.

The whole process may take about 15 to 20 minutes for most templates. The techniques for making timing adjustments for keyframes are documented in the help files. You can find the reference by typing editing keyframes in the Help Search Field. You will find this info.

Here's what a timeline looks like just before I click on the bottom right keyframe and Alt/Option drag it to a new ending time.

Screen Shot 2013-03-20 at 6.22.43 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

yes, lasso is another term for it.

Alt/Option meand the Alt key on Windows  and the Option Key on a Mac. Cmnd/Ctrl meand the Command key on the Mac and the Ctrl key on Windows. It used to be the standard way of describing keyboard shortcuts. Most trainers are now only giving you the windows or the mac keyboard shortcuts. I always give both.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

I don't see the audio file you used for timing purposes in the comp on that screen shot.  Is it in the nested comp? 

If it is, the animation you timed to it will be late by almost a factor of three compared to the original audio:  you stretched ou tthe comp containing the reference audio by almost a factor of three: a nasty result if you're trying to animate to the beat, for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

After this, I'm out of answers: do the frame rates match between AE Template and Premiere?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

I see you have the keyframes exposed for the layers. Here's what you need to do.

1. Change the length of your Scene comp and your Text comp to 16 seconds.
    2. Adjust the out point of all your jpg layers. Make them 16 seconds by going to the end of the comp and pressing Alt/Option + }
    3. Reveal all keyframes in all comps (press the u key with the timeline selected)
    4. Lasso the keyframe so they are all yellow.
    5. Hold down the Alt/Option key while you click on the farthest right keyframe and drag to the new position.
    6. Check the timing.

If everything is OK then render. If not, adjust the timing of the keyframes. They need to be about the same relative position that they are in in the shorter original composition.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

The easiest way to get things in sync with an audio track is to put markers on the audio track where the beats are. You can do this by selecting the audio track and then pressing the period key on the numeric keypad to play the audio. The default time for audio preview is set to 30 seconds in preferences but you can change it.

As the audio is playing press the * key on the numeric keypad to set markers at each beat. Check the position of the markers and then adjust the keyframes or cuts to match.

One more suggestion. I'd open up your MP3's in Audition or any thing that will open them up and convert them to 48 KHZ 16 bit Stereo WAV files. AE,  actually nothing having to do with audio editing or rendering, likes to have MP3's as a source file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 6:08 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

This is a case where you're going to have to reveal the keyframes and make manual adjustments to the beat of the audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:44 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Upload your project somewhere and I'll take a look but I think it's nothing more than a timing issue with the new audio track. I can't tell from the screehsnots because I don't know what layers are cut in where and I don't see many keyframes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

That was my first recommendation. Open up the final comp and change the duration then open up each nested comp and adjust them. With a complex template this could mean changing 10 or more compositions. Even with your screenshots I'm not sure how many compositions there are in this project. A simple flow chart of the final comp with everything expanded will tell you what needs to be changed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points