Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a lighter grey than 240,240,240?

Mar 19, 2013 7:53 PM

I have a few websites with a middle and dark grey. I'm looking for a really super light grey.

I clicked on forground, only web colors — and the 204, 204, 204 setting is nice. I then manually entered 240, 240, 240, same exact grey.

Is that right?

and is there a lighter grey. The picker was very limited in options. thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to kevin4545

mid grey is suppose to be 128,128,128.  1/2 way between 0 and 256

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Gray is a continuous tone between black and white lacking color - i.e., where all three channels have the same value.  With a 24 bit display, AKA 8 bits/channel color, those values vary between 0 (which is generally considered black) and 255 (which is considered white).

Ergo, any RGB value of (1,1,1) through (254,254,254) could be considered gray.

At some point the gray gets to be so light that it becomes visually indistinguishable from white.  That's entirely up to you to decide where that cutoff is.  Some web sites use a pure white background.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2013 10:40 PM   in reply to kevin4545

LOL, seriously?

Do you know how to set your Foreground Color?

Do you know how to use the Bucket Fill Tool?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

I clicked on forground, only web colors...The picker was very limited in options.

What may be confusing you is the "Only Web Colors" option that you selected. That restricts colors to the "Web-safe color palette" that was in wide use back in the years when most color monitors were limited to 256 colors total. That isn't a concern today because almost every color monitor displays millions of colors.

Turn off "Only Web Colors" and use any gray you want.

Then the distinctions between grays will only be limited by how well your viewers' monitors are calibrated.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to kevin4545

If you look at your swatches panel in Photoshop,you will see a grayscale strip. You select the eyedropper tool, and click on the one that looks best to you. If one looks too light or too dark, move to the next swatch and again click on it with the eyedropper tool to select the foreground color.

Ctrl + N to open a new file, and as Noel says, use the Bucket tool to fill the canvas. Undo (Ctrl-Z) and try another shade until satisfied. Make a note of the swatch you used. Much quicker than dialing in the numbers on the color picker.

Anyway,just my suggestion. And it is true, most monitors out there are not even calibrated by the average user.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points