Skip navigation
gjpaco121
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get my images to upload or appear?

Mar 19, 2013 8:40 PM

After uploading Dreamweaver CS5-built website and Style.CSS, webpages, pages do not display the images that are contained within the CSS file.

Please can someone help?

It display correctly in the local webbrowsers through dreamweaver, but whenever I load them up to a server all the file get transferred but image just don't seem to show up on the web page.  I have check the server side jpg files and they all seem to be there.

It displays correctly in the local web browser through Dreamweaver, but whenever I load them up to a server all the files are transferred but the images do not show up on the web page. I've tried saving all the images and files through the site management method and they are there, but they seem to be lost during the zip transition stage.

This is one of the many the error messages I received from the zipped webpage:

file:///C:/Users/Gordo/AppData/Local/Temp/Alpha/Alpha%202/images/CRIMS ON-T-Navigation_09.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to gjpaco121

This is usually caused by either linking to resources outside of your defined site, or by not correct defining the site. Do you define it with the site manager? It looks like you are linking to a file in a temp directory - which is not a good place for your site to reside.

>zip transition stage

What the heck is that?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:24 AM   in reply to gjpaco121

gjpaco121 wrote:

Do you think that using a trail verison of DW could have an effect?

No,

Can you give us a link to a page which doesnt show the images? The answer is in the code. As bregent has said its most likely that the paths to the images, once uploaded are incorrect. The paths when on your local computer don't really matter as the images will be found BUT once uploaded the file paths are broken.

This could be as a result of you NOT defining a site folder when you intially started building the pages. If you don't do that then Dreamweaver won't be able to gather all the information into the right loaction.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to gjpaco121

gjpaco121 wrote:

Here are a few:

file:///C:/Users/Gordo/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_Week4Prototype.zip/Wee k4/Alpha%202/images/Body.jpg

file:///C:/Users/Gordo/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_Week4Prototype.zip/Wee k4/Alpha%202/images/Mainpage.jpg

file:///C:/Users/Gordo/AppData/Local/Temp/Alpha/Alpha%202/images/CRIMS ON-T-Navigation_11.jpg

This means the image links all reference your local computer. When you upload your pages to  the web the images wont be found as the links can't reference your local computer.

Did you define a site root folder when you initially started your design?

Site>New Site>Name the site>Choose the folder that your files will be gatthered into?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to gjpaco121

Can I assume that these pages have all been saved within your defined site, and that the linked items are also all within your current local site?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to gjpaco121

What you need to do is create a structure of the files locally (on your pc) that match that of the website itself. As said, the path to the images are of that on your pc (ie. one of them is in C:/Users/Gordo/AppData/Local/Temp/Alpha/Alpha%202/images/ on your pc)

Create a folder called 'nameofwebsite.com' in your documents folder (or wherever you like) and inside create all of the files you have on your site such as 'index.html', 'aboutus.html' etc' plus a folder called 'images'.

With the above images, save them in the images folder but reference them with the path /images then upload. This way, when online, the site looks in the local folder called /images (ie. the uploaded folder) and displays them.

You would get the above error (ie. your path) if you simply uploaded them from your 'my pictures' folder or similar, as there isn't a 'my pictures' folder on the web server it can't read from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to gjpaco121

huh. Why are you zipping the folder?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to bregent

If your site is defined properly and you are using DW to handle the FTP, then when you "put" or "check in" a page, when the dialog box asking to "put/check in" dependent files pops up, select yes and it will upload all your graphic files that is used by that page.

DW makes that pretty simple. Now on a more difficult level, if you have a SSI that references an image, that will not get "put" when the SSI is "put" from the origianl page and will only get "put" if you "put" the SSI file by selecting the "put" when uploading the SSI file singular. Wow that's a lot of puts...not to be confused with putts.

Jim

Note: and bregent, I am with you, zipping a file?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to gjpaco121

OK, anyway, please send us a screen shot of your local and remote site definitions. It appears that your site may not be defined properly. When you send the zipped files, they have references to your local folders so it will not work properly on another system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to gjpaco121

There is no difference between a trial version and a retail version of Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points